[SLS-CC] Update to CCSDS 131.0-B-3 to add ground-to-space and USLP

Andrews, Kenneth S (US 332B) kenneth.s.andrews at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 28 20:05:41 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

At today's teleconference, I believe our working group agreed to release an updated version of CCSDS 131.0-B-3, “TM Synchronization and Channel Coding”, for agency review, per the attached document.  This incorporates the minor editorial changes we discussed today, and otherwise is identical to what you’ve seen before.  In short, this standardizes the use of USLP (in addition to the existing TM and AOS space link protocols), and permits the use of turbo and LDPC codes on ground-to-space and space-to-space links.

For Tom, I believe you can expect SLS and CESG resolutions to follow shortly to support these changes.  Like usual, the attached document contains only the pages with changes, for conciseness.  The changes are minor, except for the addition of slightly more than a page of text to become a new Section 9.  Black text is unchanged from the current publication, and blue text shows changes and additions; there are no deletions.  Only one figure was slightly modified, and my version is attached in PowerPoint format, though you likely have a version of your own.

Thanks to all for your support in this project,

-Ken