[CESG] [EXTERNAL] RID Database

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 20 14:43:38 UTC 2019

I support the points made by Tom and Gippo about the need for us to encourage our agencies to do a better job of reviewing documents and producing RIDs.  It is really only through this sort of independent audit of the draft standards that we have the best chance to identify issues.

That said, and being mindful of the discussion we had in the recent CESG meeting, I do believe that there was very strong support for re-evaluating the use of a RID spreadsheet as the means to submit RIDs.  Several of us commented that the first thing we all do in processing RIDs in a paper or Word or PDF form is to do the tedious cut and paste of text from that page by page form into a spredsheet.  The reason for that is that a spreadsheet is just so much more convenient to work on, for the following reasons I can think of:

  1.  All inputs in one place
  2.  Possible to sort all of them based on document page and section
  3.  Easy to track which are resolved and which are open
  4.  Useful as a checklist to make document updates once resolution is reached

There are probably others as well.

I would strongly support using a simple spreadsheet as the input format for RIDs.  I think it is trivial to create, is no more work for the reviewers than the one RID per page format, works on all platforms, and makes the whole task easier.

Regards, Peter