[Sois-tcons] Re: [Sois-tcoa] Simplified TCONS Services Reference Model

Abhijit Sengupta Abhijit.Sengupta at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 10 21:01:44 EST 2005

I made some changes - the diagram looks uglier, but I thought probably
correctness precedes beauty. So let us have further discussions. The
rationales are as follows:
1. I am almost convinced from the discussion so far, that while using space
link, using TCONS is a not a good idea - moreover when SCPS-TP exists, what
is the defense of a new transport protocol.
2. So after that comes the SCPS-NP as a natural service provider to SCPS-TP.
3. OBL abstraction service or adaptation layer need not be concerned with
Space Link (Rick must thank me for that)
4. The address-link translation service is used only by network service and
interfaces with OBL abstraction service and no one else - why call it a
separate service - it is included in network service.

And let the firing start!!!

At 3/9/2005 05:18 AM, Jane K. Marquart wrote:
>All,
>
>Here you go!  The following mods were made:
>
>1 - Consistency:  this is a SERVICES diagram only.  No protocols mixes etc.

That was a good idea.

>2 - TCONs Layers:  lists the 3 types of transport services provided.  Adds
>clarity to what TCONS is/does/supports.
>3 - Network Layer  - now includes an Address-to-link translation service
>-- the "official" name can be TBD but for now it describes the service
>provided.  This is where the packet destination info is translated into
>the outgoing link by TCONS (and vice versa on receive), providing a
>generic service i/f to the OBL abstraction service.  See Rick's charts on
>OBL service i/f.
>4 - Data link - instead of SNDCL, etc., this is much cleaner (and
>clearer).  The OBL abstraction provides the "generic" or independent
>service i/f.  Then OBL does it "dependent " thing, according to the
>provided "link".  The  "abstraction" service i/f can be exposed to
>non-TCONS entities.
>5 - The Physical layer is outside the SOIS domain, so while it is still
>included in the overall diagram, it is not part of SOIS.  Rather, it is
>"driven" by other external standards.
>
>Let the discussion begin..........
>
>Jane

I agree with most of it excepting notes at the beginning.

Abhijit

All personal and professional opinions in this email are my own
and do not represent, in any way, the opinion or policy of JPL