[Sois-tcons] RE: SOIS TCONS

Jane K. Marquart Jane.K.Marquart at nasa.gov
Wed Apr 6 10:07:37 EDT 2005

Fellas,

Here's my 2 cents......
When I started with the TCONS WG, I didn't know much (actually nil) about
networks nor did I have a great desire to learn the details of all the
protocols.  However, as a software systems engineer, I was drawn to the
fact that TCONS was trying to provide a GENERIC INTERFACE to the underlying
busses, which makes my life as an applications developer so much
easier.  To me, TCONS abstracted the differences among the different
protocols and busses, and allowed me to write PORTABLE software.  That
translates into less risk, cost, and schedule, words that missions
understand.  I think Steve's bullet #3 hits the nail on the head.  I've
been espousing these points to missions and they are buying into it.  We
(software people) are tired of rewriting software for the same hardware,
never mind different hardware, because everyone wants to do it "their
way".  IF, like Dai said, there was someplace to go that standardized this
whole mush of stuff, many would jump on the bandwagon.  The SOIS acronym is
no longer a strange one to software people here in my branch that are doing
MISSION work.  No one cares about the underlying protocols so much as the
fact that there's a well-defined interface regardless of the underlying bus.

Now for the technical 2 cents......we did our Ethernet prototype using that
much beleaguered UDP/IP both for guaranteed and scheduled service.  Of
course this prototype didn't have the APIs implemented, but I don't think
it would be a stretch to update. We can/should discuss the prototype, the
resulting data, and the "reliable UDP" in Athens. My point is that we ran
what we functionally thought was a TCONS architecture using that darned IP
protocol, and found it to be quite straightforward.  I expect the same for
SpaceWire.
Perhaps we should just say we can't accommodate ALL bus protocols......and
stop wasting 80% of our time on 20% of the problem.  Like TM/TC, is doesn't
fit every scenario, but is used for at least 90% of our data.  The other
10% has to be addressed each mission, but that's a hell of a lot better
than rewriting for 50% or more each mission.

And so it goes.
Jane