[cssm] DDOR Scan Pattern format proposal

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 16 21:32:47 UTC 2020

Hello Martin (and my apologies for the earlier incorrect spelling),

The DDOR WG Chair (Jim Border) and I have had an exchange with regard to the proposed scan pattern for inclusion in the SMURF.  Attached please find a proposed scan pattern format -- a sample XML instance document and a pictorial representation. This is largely based on the pattern you have proposed.

The differences, elaborated as comments in the XML instance document, are:

  1.  Removal  of the service indication as the DDOR service would already be indicated in the SMURF
  2.  Removal of the account of scan targets as each target has an ordinal number assigned to it so it is quite trivial to determine the number of targets if that is needed (and less error-prone)
  3.  addition of a reference to the carrier configuration profile for the spacecraft(s) participating in the DDOR observation (in turn this will indicate the frequency band as well as provide information for the DOR tones from the spacecraft(s))
  4.  The absolute start time for the scan pattern has been added -- this will help to verify that the scan pattern time fits with the set of activities scheduled
  5.  a slew time that can be stated for each target rather than a uniform slew time - this may allow for optimization such that a DDOR measurement that could not be achieved via fixed slew times can be achieved if the overall amount of time spent slewing is reduced (of course this would be subject to negotiation, but the purpose here is to allow for expression of the information and not to specify behavior)

My sense is that we are close to a very good workable format. I look forward to your comments.