[Smwg] CSSM Action 2014-1111-02

Colin.Haddow at esa.int Colin.Haddow at esa.int
Wed Nov 19 14:40:25 UTC 2014

Dear all,
                    with respect to action 2014-1111-02 "RE: RID ESA-ESA 11
Think through and come up with an answer. Consider if an optional parameter
should be added to the Activity class to indicate the level of commitment to
the activity." after some thinking about this a bit I think it would be
useful to add a parameter to the ScheduledActivity class that can be used to
indicate how firm that individual activity is. I would suggest two possible
values for this;

COMMITTED   indicating that, baring unforeseen circumstances, the activity
will go ahead
TENTATIVE   indicating that the activity is currently scheduled but may still
be subject to change

Use of this parameter would (could ?) be independent of the overall Schedule
Status contained in the header, i.e. it would be possible to have a
PROVISIONAL Schedule which contained COMMITTED activities. I think this makes
sense since it is possible that even though a Schedule has not been
completely finalised it may already be known that certain activities are
required to take place in the time span covered by the Schedule. However I'm
open to other approaches.

The use of this additional parameter could also be extended to the
classification of UNUSED time as per RID JMS02 from CNES. In this case two
additional values could be defined for use in the case where the
ScheduledPackage user is NETWORK (as per the agreed update with respect to
the user for UNUSED time) and the ServiceInfo serviceType is UNUSED. These
values would be;

AVAILABLE   indicating that the antenna could be scheduled during the UNUSED
time.
UNAVAILABLE indicating that the antenna is completely unavailable during the
UNUSED time.

My inclination would be to make this a mandatory parameter rather than
optional. Although there are obviously sensitivities about revealing UNUSED
time in certain Networks I don't believe that categorising UNUSED time into
AVAILABLE and UNAVAILABLE makes a significant difference here as it is not
mandatory to publish any information about UNUSED time in the Simple
Schedule.

As always comments and/or criticisms welcome.

Cheers for now,

Colin

Dr. Colin R. Haddow,
HSO-GI, European Space Agency,