[Smwg] RE: RIDs for the SchemaMaster

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Nov 18 19:38:41 UTC 2014

Hello, Colin. I've looked through the two RIDs that you forwarded, and here are my responses.

The first of the two RIDs (CSSM-056) recommends that "schedulePackageID" be changed to "schedulePackageId". I agree with the reviewer that this follows the camelCase convention that we have used elsewhere in the document.

The second RID (CSSM-058) recommends that a version "specification" be added to the schema, " such that any validating parser can check if the version of the XML instance is compliant with the version of the schema". The WG accepted the recommendation and I concur.  Here are my thoughts and plans for how to do so. I welcome any comments.

There are two levels at which the version of the schema can be validated. At the top level, namespaces are used to demarcate the version at the level of the Issue of the Recommended Standard, with each Issue getting its own namespace. An instance document generated from schema registered under one namespace cannot be validated under a different namespace. E.g., if Mission X generates a Simple Schedules using a (future) Issue-2 schema and attempts to submit it to a PCSSS that still only support the Issue-1 version, it will of course fail validation. Different namespaces are required because multiple versions of the schema must be supported concurrently (at least for some period) owing to legacy support considerations and differing rates of standards adoption and maintenance.

The second level of versioning occurs where the schema maintenance produces intermediate corrected versions for the same Issue of the Recommended Standard, e.g., because the original version of the schema inadvertently omitted a required enumeration value. This does not result in a new namespace but a replacement of the schemas within the existing namespace*. Technically, only one set of schemas is valid for each namespace at any given time, but schema maintenance for the various implementation of those schemas will almost certainly take place at different rates. At some point it is likely that some creator/consumer pair will be using different iterations of the "Issue X" schema (and therefore using the same Issue-X namespace), with both sides believing their version to be current and correct. To flag this level of versioning I will add a schemaVersion attribute to the SimpleSchedule type. The schemaVersion attribute will be of type xsd:string with the syntax 'X.Y.Z', where "X" is the Blue Book Issue number, "Y" represents a Technical Corrigendum number (if any - it is zero otherwise), and "Z" represents the iteration of the current schema. Technically, the "X" component is unnecessary since that information is captured in the namespace itself, but I think it is nice to have the complete provenance of the version in one place. The "Y" component is there to record the fact that the schema reflects changes (if any) caused by a Technical Corrigendum, since a TC does not change the Issue number itself. For purposes of versioning uniqueness and validity are concerned, I propose that only the version of the schema that includes all approved TCs is valid - i.e., there is still only one formally valid schema for each issue.

  [NOTE - The extended (post-Blue-publication) NASA/JAXA interoperability tests unveiled some typos in element names that were subsequently corrected in the Blue-1 schema and therefore resulted in a new version number. We subsequently agreed that schemas that otherwise accurately represent the data structures of the Recommended Standard should not be changed just to correct typos, because the resulting effort to update otherwise-good schemas in operational systems would generally outweigh the benefit of correcting a few tags in the instance documents. New intermediate versions should be created only when the existing schema is found to incorrectly or incompletely represent the functionality of the Recommended Standard.]

Best regards,

John