[Sls-slp] Re: [Sls-cc] Re: Maximum Frame size for Turbocodes?

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Thu Apr 1 06:46:54 UTC 2010

Dear Greg,
        please be informed that the WG, discussing RID ESA-GPC-27, decided
to remove the longest block size to be studied.

Best regards

Gian Paolo Calzolari
SLS-C&S WG Chair

Gian Paolo Calzolari/esoc/ESA
12-02-2010 14:08

"Kazz, Greg J (313B)" <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>
cc
"sls-cc at mailman.ccsds.org" <sls-cc at mailman.ccsds.org>,
sls-cc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org, "sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org"
<sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org>, Enrico Vassallo/esoc/ESA at ESA, Jean-Luc
Gerner/estec/ESA at ESA
Subject
[Sls-cc] Re: Maximum Frame size for Turbocodes?

Dear Greg,
        there are some "historical" reasons for that TBD that would take
long to write.

On the same topic I have subimmeted  a RID ESA-GPC-27 (see below for the
CWE location)

Therefore the matyter is under WG discussion and I take the occasion to
silicite WG Memebrs to provide their position with respect to the above
mentione  RID ESA-GPC-27.

Gian Paolo Calzolari
SLS-C&S WG Chair

See the area
The CCSDS Collaborative Work Environment (CWE) > Space Link Services Area
(SLS) > Documents > SLS-CandS > Meeting Materials > 2010 >
201001.WinterMaterial

at URL
http://cwe.ccsds.org/sls/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2fsls%2fdocs%2fSLS-CandS%2fMeeting%20Materials%2f2010%2f201001.WinterMaterial&FolderCTID=&View={16ACDA38-FFA3-4657-8F27-B166C23C24A2}

Gian Paolo Calzolari
Systems Engineer, OPS-OT

European Space Agency ESA/ESOC
Robert Bosch Str. 5
D-64293-Darmstadt
Tel +49-6151-902913 fax +49-6151-902962
http://www.esa.int/esoc    Email: Gian.Paolo.Calzolari[at]esa.int
[replace [at] with @ for the correct e-mail address]

"Kazz, Greg J (313B)" <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>
Sent by: sls-cc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
11-02-2010 19:25

"sls-cc at mailman.ccsds.org" <sls-cc at mailman.ccsds.org>,
"sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org" <sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org>
cc

Subject
[Sls-cc] Maximum Frame size for Turbocodes?

Dear CCSDS Coding & Sync WG,

I just want to confirm that the maximum allowable transfer frame size is
1115 octets when one uses a Turbo code.

A NASA mission in pre-phase A has approached me to ask if CCSDS has
completed any further studies per the comment in the current standard
below to  allow missions to use the 2048 octet frame size.  Have any
further studies  been carried out or are planned by CCSDS ?

Currently Section 8 of the TM Sync and Channel Coding  (CCSDS 131.0-B-1 )
states:

8.6.2 Performance for only the following information block lengths (i.e.,
Transfer Frame lengths) has been validated by CCSDS and approved for use
(values are in octets):
a) 223;
b) 446;
c) 892;
d) 1115;
e) 2048.
NOTE – Interleaver parameters for the length 2048 octets are under study
by the CCSDS. Until finalized, use of this option is not recommended.

Looking over the pink sheets (ccsds 131.0-P-1.1) I did not see any new
information on this section.

Thanks and best regards,

Sls-cc mailing list
Sls-cc at mailman.ccsds.org