[Sls-rfm] [Sls-slp] Table form of Prox-1 Phy Layer

Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int
Thu Mar 31 18:26:58 UTC 2005

Ed,
I like your wise words. I would add that what we are building is for the
coming 20 years; we must make sure that we make optimal use of the system
potentialities. If we were to introduce lousy requirements, no doubts that
CCSDS would loose part of its credibility. We can't take such a risk. This
400 MHz system is already rather capacity-limited; hence we MUST make the
best out of it.

best regards
Jean-Luc Gerner
TEC-ETT
Tel: +31 71 565 4473

                      Ed Greenberg
                      <egreenbe at jpl.nasa.gov         To:      thomas.c.jedrey at jpl.nasa.gov, "'Matthew Cosby'"
                      Sent by:                       cc:      adstanton at keltik.co.uk, adstanton at space.qinetiq.com,
                      sls-slp-bounces at mailma         SJKynaston at space.qinetiq.com, "'Dennis Lee'" <Dennis.K.Lee at jpl.nasa.gov>,
                      n.ccsds.org                    Charles.D.Edwards at jpl.nasa.gov, Eric.Schwartzbaum at jpl.nasa.gov,
                                                     David.J.Bell at jpl.nasa.gov
                                                     Subject: RE: [Sls-rfm] [Sls-slp] Table form of Prox-1 Phy Layer
                      24/03/2005 20:44

Gentlemen,  We are all trying to get to a Standard that will provide
service to all any agencies transceiver.  I think that the problem may be
related to the generalization of the specification.  The real variations
are related to the selected data rate and the non-integer divisor.  Can we
identify the symbol to symbol variance at the specific Prox-1 rates so that
we can a) determine if these are workable or not,  and if they are workable
then we can try to define them in a manner that is rate specific so we can
proceed.

Ed

At 10:27 AM 3/24/2005 -0800, Thomas Jedrey wrote:
>Matthew,
>
>A symbol to symbol to symbol variation was included.
>
>Your comments on the decision to use a non-integer divisor are correct in
>that it was a program decision to use this.  Unfortunately this is not a
>negotiable point since this form of the radio will be providing network
>support at Mars for the next 20 years or so.  So any design expecting
>support from the NASA Mars network assets will have to be compatible with
>these specifications - regardless of whether they are included in the prox-1
>specification or not.
>
>Thomas C. Jedrey
>Supervisor, Wireless Communications Group
>Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>Phone: 818-354-5187

Progress is impossible when you always do things the way they have always
been done.