[Sls-mhdc] Fw: URGENT: Ccsds

David.Evans at esa.int David.Evans at esa.int
Wed Oct 17 13:05:12 UTC 2018

update

----- Forwarded by David Evans/esoc/ESA on 17/10/2018 15:04 -----

From:   it patent/estec/ESA
To:     David Evans/esoc/ESA at ESA
Date:   17/10/2018 14:55
Subject:        Re: URGENT: Ccsds
Sent by:        Mercedes Sanchez Alvarez

Hi Dave,

Sorry for my late reply, we have been in meetings all day.

Please, see the answers to your questions (in green):

- Please confirm that anyone working on this algorithm for the CCSDS
working group would get a license and not have to pay the license fee.
They are helping ESA define it as a standard. asking them to pay for the
pleasure is a bit cheeky. Please confirm that this license would allow
them to use it on other spacecraft in the future. I need this to get the
support to build the second prototype from CNES.
We confirm that the handling fee will not be requested to anyone working
on this algorithm for the CCSDS working group. And since the license is
meant for space, it would allow them to use it on other spacecraft in the
future.

- Is the handling fee only applicable to when software is delivered (you
mention operational software below)? The point is a CCSDS standard is not
describing the software but its a reference so someone else could build
there own implementation against to test its compliant. That is, these
guys would be using any software just looking at the standard and trying
to build their own implementation. This would be the same for all other
standard users.
The handling fee is related to the use of the patent, not the software.
This means that anyone could develop its own software but if they are
using the methodology described in the patent, they'd need a license on
the patent.
Maybe the mention to the operational software was a bit misleading, I was
only making the analogy on the licensing policy from ESOC related to the
operational software.

Thanks and kind regards,

Mercedes

ESA - European Space Agency

Aude de Clercq,

Nuria Hernández Alfageme (ATG Europe on Behalf of ESA),

Mercedes Sánchez Álvarez (HE Space on Behalf of ESA)

& Franziska Bierbüße (German Trainee on Behalf of ESA)

Technology Transfer & Business Incubation Office (TTBO)
Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality
Keplerlaan 1, PO Box 299
NL-2200 AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands

patent at esa.int | www.esa.int/ttp

T +31 71 565 8662 |+31 71 565 6511 | +31 71 565 4436

Before printing this e-mail, please evaluate if it is necessary. The
environment is also in your hands.

The CCSDS working group reacted a bit strongly to the 3.5K handling fee.
They want to know;

[...]

The last day of the working group meeting is tomorrow, If at all possible,
do you think you could clarify these points by then. Otherwise this will
drag on for another six months until the Spring Meeting 2019.

Best regards.
Dave