[Sis-mia] Post Spring Meetings Summary/Update/Actions

Grubbs, Rodney P. (MSFC-AS50)[EMERITUS PROGRAM] rodney.p.grubbs at nasa.gov
Mon May 22 12:32:20 UTC 2023

Hello, MIA gang. It was good to see some of you during our Spring meetings in Huntsville. Below is a summary along with some updates and actions.

Regarding closing out the disposition of conditions from the CESG for the RTP over DTN Book:

DLR Jeremy and NASA Josh have an ACTION to plan and conduct an additional Interoperability test, this time to include measuring effects of packet loss and jitter (where does it break?), and, if possible, the impact to the bundle size when streaming at various bandwidths.

Peter Shames gave us examples for the kind of details he would like to see in our descriptions and drawings in section 2.  DLR Jeremy and NASA Josh have an ACTION to provide updated drawings to Walt.

I had follow-up discussions with Ignacio and Jonathan regarding their conditions. I believe the updated data from the next round of Interoperability testing should close those conditions once properly documented in the Blue and Yellow Books.

Regarding our Motion Imagery & Applications Green Book update, after quite a bit of discussion about the amount of content and level of effort to update the book, it was brought to our attention that we had other options:
We could write a corrigendum.
We could completely re-write the Green Book to no longer be a summary of video systems flown but instead be a book that provides the rationale for the Digital Motion Imagery Blue Book.
We could retire this Green Book and write a new Green Book that provides the rationale for the Digital Motion Imagery Blue Book later.

I gave an ACTION to NASA’s Jeremey Myers and Jennifer Christopher to do a level of effort assessment for re-writing the Green Book to provide the rationale for the Digital Motion Imagery Blue Book.

Prior to the CESG Meeting, SIS AD Tomaso deCola and I had an email exchange on these options and we favor retiring the Green Book and once we have an assessment of the level of effort for re-writing the Green book, to provide the rationale for the Blue Book, we will decide when to take on that project.

Moving on to the subject of our new Video Quality Assessment Green Book:

A representative from Video Clarity gave us an excellent presentation on the methods of objectively assessing video quality. Those of us present in-person were able to see the data from real-time comparisons of test scenes and some NASA content.

We then moved on to developing a more detailed Table of Contents for our Green Book along with assignments for who will contribute various sections.

The attached word document includes the new Table of Contents and ACTION assignments.

I am having issues with the CWE Framework and have been unable to update our project schedules. Once that is addressed I have an ACTION to update them.

In the CWE you will find the Video Quality Assessment Green Book (also attached) and the presentation from Video Clarity. It is the MIA>Meeting Materials>Spring 2023 folder.

DLR Jeremy/NASA Josh, Please provide an update on the plans for the next round of RTP testing.
NASA Jeremy/NASA Jennifer Please let me know when you think you’ll have an estimate for the level of effort to completely re-write our Motion Imagery & Applications Green Book per above.

If I missed any actions or got any of above incorrect, please let me know. I’ll schedule a follow-up MIA meeting for some time in June.

Cheers!

“Live Life Forward”
Rodney Grubbs, NASA Emeritus
Chair, CCSDS Motion Imagery & Applications Working Group
Deputy Area Director, Space Internetworking Services Area
931-229-6030 (Personal phone)

Note: I retired from NASA on March 31, 2023. My Emeritus status only relates to supporting NASA/MSFC’s CCSDS matters.