[Sis-exec] CESG/CMC joint meeting -- Head's up!

Durst, Robert C. durst at mitre.org
Fri Apr 8 08:24:36 EDT 2005

Here's a heads up from the joint CESG/CMC meeting.  As you recall, the CMC
is the money group.  That means that at some level, we care.

CMC wants a progress report rather than a problem report.  That is, they
want to see progress against the milestones that are set forth in the WG
charters.  As WG chairs prepare the end-of-week summary, please think about
a one-sheet (or less) schedule chart that shows progress versus milestones.
(Perhaps a Gantt chart or the like.)  At this point, I'd like you just to be
aware that this might be coming, and to please look at your WG charters
(even if you're not meeting).  Make sure you have at hand the information
required to produce some kind of performance-to-schedule statement on a
single sheet.  I expect that we'll be required to maintain this in the
future.

Film at 11.

BTW, attached is the presentation that I just gave to the joint CESG/CMC
meeting.  They were, in general, happy that we were at least *talking* about
dissolving some working groups.  (Of course, the SPP, which has essentially
completed its work, received a comment from ESA that stems from a problem
that originated when the original AOS documents were written, but has just
been detected.  So we'll probably have to modify the Green Book to address
that.  Oh, and the CNES CMC rep didn't realize that the UCE Pink Sheets had
gone out for agency review.  Scott -- did you get any comments from CNES?)

Also by the way, Adrian's talking now, and pointing out to the CMC that
we're going to update the Operating Plan.  As you may or may not know (read
"care"), the Operating Plan is the concatenation of all of the working group
charters.  The goal is to update this annually, rather than semi-annually
(which has been something we've been *supposed* to be doing to date).  We
will be required to go through a "rechartering" exercise that essentially
amounts to an update of all of the WG charters.  WG chairs are probably
going to be asked to monitor the resource commitments by each agency to
ensure that the CMC's committed resources are actually showing up.

More as it develops...

Regards,
Durst

Please note that on 15 April 2005, MITRE's Washington telephone exchange
will change from 883- to 983-.  Accordingly, my office and facsimile
telephone numbers will change as follows:

Office:  703 983-7535 (was 703 883-7535)
Fax:     703 983-7142 (was 703 883-7142)