[Sis-dtn] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] Re: Proposed topics for the weekly meetings

Felix Flentge Felix.Flentge at esa.int
Thu Jun 27 12:41:03 UTC 2024

Dear Vint et al,

The creation timestamp’s sequence number is qualified by the bundle creation time so that combination of source Node ID and bundle creation timestamp can uniquely identify a single transmission request. Resetting the sequence counter may be done when the ‘current time’ advances by one millisecond. If nodes ‘lack an accurate clock’ it is recommended to set the creation time to zero and never reset.
So, certainly there could  be situations where time could ‘go backwards’ (eg, during time synchronisation). These need to be carefully managed and resetting the counter every millisecond might not be the best strategy. However, my point below for the CCSDS Blue Book is just to make sure that we do not deviate from RfC 9171 wrt the sequence number and create certain expectations which may not be true. Whether this resetting should be allowed or not is a different discussion and should be brought up in IETF DTN WG if there is an intention to change this. Personally, I would prefer to have an increasing sequence count with ‘predictable’ roll-over behaviour.

Regarding replay attacks: even in nominal circumstances we could have bundle duplications and out-of-order delivery. So, applications need to be able to deal with that or they need make use of suitable bundle protocol extensions to eg guarantee in-order-delivery and de-duplication. These extension could make use of suitable mechanisms (eg by using sequence counters in extension blocks; this is actually part of the new compressed status reporting and custody transfer Orange Book we are working on).

Good point on replay attacks: I think similar to other types of attacks, we will need network security monitoring to detect attacks and take appropriate measures to ‘take the attacker off the network’ and delete suspicious bundles. This is certainly an important topic for future research (I will hint this to our security people who are already working on anomaly detection).

Regards,
Felix