[Sis-dtn] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] Re: Proposed topics for the weekly meetings

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Jun 27 10:19:55 UTC 2024

Folks, I wonder whether any of you are aware of the reason TCP has a 3-way
handshake? In the original version of TCP, we started each new TCP
connection with a sequence number of 0. The consequence of that is that old
packets from earlier connections could show up and be incorrectly accepted
as valid. We changed to start each connection with a timer-based sequence
number and a 3-way exchange to assure that both ends had the other
end's starting sequence number. Frequent resetting to 0 may induce this
problem with BP.

We also ran into a "predict the next sequence number and generate an IP
packet that will be falsely accepted as valid" problem.   We should also
ask whether we have proof against replay attacks. I hope there has been
some work to analyze BP for resistance to some of these well-known problems
that arose in TCP/IP.

vint

--
Please send any postal/overnight deliveries to:
Vint Cerf

until further notice