[Sis-dtn] DTPC RID against BP-for-CCSDS

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Fri Oct 17 13:24:45 UTC 2014

Felix,

First, thanks very much for your review and RIDS on the BP-for-CCSDS book.
I think they've improved the book's overall quality.

Regarding your RID against the Delay-Tolerant Payload Conditioning
Specification:

I am wondering if  "Annex E Delay-Tolerant Payload Conditioning
Specification" should not be a separate document. For me it is a specific
way (an "application service") of how to apply BP and does not need to be
part of the CCSDS BP Standard. Also, I am not sure about the maturity of
that protocol (Has it been tested with two independent implementations?).
So, it might be better to separate it (maybe as a Magenta Book) and have
"independent lifecycles".

I think the WG's current leaning is to reject the RID and keep the DTPC
annex in the book.  I would concur that in a perfect world it would be split
off as a separate book, but as I recall the capability was strongly desired
and there was some concern about '# of books explosion' and the agency
review resources that would be needed if it were done separately.  Also,
removing the annex now would require another agency review.

There are two implementations of DTPC (ION and DTN2), and since it's a
normative part of the book it WILL be interoperability tested before the
book goes Blue.

Given the above, I think the WG would like to reject the RID and keep DTPC
in the current book.  Would you be able to concur with this?

                        Best Regards,

                                    --keith

Dr. Keith Scott
Office: +1.703.983.6547

Chief Engineer, J86A
Fax:      +1.703.983.7142

Communications Network Engineering & Analysis                     Email:
kscott at mitre.org

The MITRE Corporation <http://www.mitre.org/>
M/S H300

7515 Colshire Drive

McLean, VA 22102

Area Director, CCSDS <http://www.ccsds.org/>  Space Internetworking Services
<http://cwe.ccsds.org/sis/default.aspx>

MITRE self-signs its own certificates.  Information about the MITRE PKI
Certificate Chain is available from http://www.mitre.org/tech/mii/pki/