[Sis-csi] VxWorks vs. Linux

Jim Benson Jim at SpaceDev.com
Thu Jan 25 19:00:49 EST 2007

For whatever it is worth, and as the pioneer of the MPC750 and VxWorks in space, we have abandoned both and are now going with much more advanced commercial off-the-shelf processors and are running Linux (with Ethernet and USB connections for all plug and play subsystems) on our three formation-flying, networked  microsats for the Missile Defense Agency.

Onward and upward,

Jim Benson

-----Original Message-----
From: sis-csi-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org [mailto:sis-csi-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org] On Behalf Of Leigh Torgerson
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:49 PM
To: Scott, Keith L.; Marc Blanchet; Lloyd Wood
Cc: sis-csi at mailman.ccsds.org
Subject: RE: [Sis-csi] 2:30 Eastern it is

Just as an aside, this discussion thread is fundamentally why we ported CFDP/TM/TC into a VirtexII Pro FPGA.

With the Deep Impact telemetry stack implemented in FSW (VxWorks) on a PPC750, lab tests showed a couple of megabits/sec max throughput with a full software implementation of the stack (with something like 67% CPU utilization if I remember
correctly..)

With our TRIGA FPGA implementation, we've run CFDP/TM/TC at 600 Mbps in reliable mode. This implementation is being looked at for porting to an Electra slice, using the rad hard version of the FPGA and a SPACR co-processor (used to manage CFDP state).

The flight software does a couple of register writes to the FPGA to set up the metadata and start a transaction, the FPGA interfaces with mass storage over an LVDS interface and conducts the transaction, including any retransmissions, and many of these flight software optimization / OS discussions become moot.

We've got AOS (partial implementation to support
DTN-BP) in the FPGA stack now, and the port of DTN-BP has commenced. Also being worked is the FPGA interface for AMS, and we've started the LTP FPGA design.

regards,
Leigh

J. Leigh Torgerson                          ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Communications Systems Research Sec.332 DARPA DTN / DSMS Advanced Protocol Implementation Work Area Manager
(818) 393-0695                                   (818) 393-4643 fax