[Sis-csi] 2:30 Eastern it is

Leigh Torgerson ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 25 18:48:34 EST 2007

Just as an aside, this discussion thread is
fundamentally why we ported CFDP/TM/TC into a
VirtexII Pro FPGA.

With the Deep Impact telemetry stack implemented
in FSW (VxWorks) on a PPC750, lab tests showed a
couple of megabits/sec max throughput with a full
software implementation of the stack (with
something like 67% CPU utilization if I remember
correctly..)

With our TRIGA FPGA implementation, we've run
CFDP/TM/TC at 600 Mbps in reliable mode. This
implementation is being looked at for porting to
an Electra slice, using the rad hard version of
the FPGA and a SPACR co-processor (used to manage
CFDP state).

The flight software does a couple of register
writes to the FPGA to set up the metadata and
start a transaction, the FPGA interfaces with
mass storage over an LVDS interface and conducts
the transaction, including any retransmissions,
and many of these flight software optimization /
OS discussions become moot.

We've got AOS (partial implementation to support
DTN-BP) in the FPGA stack now, and the port of
DTN-BP has commenced. Also being worked is the
FPGA interface for AMS, and we've started the LTP
FPGA design.

regards,
Leigh

J. Leigh Torgerson                          ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Communications Systems Research Sec.332
DARPA DTN / DSMS Advanced Protocol Implementation Work Area Manager
(818) 393-0695                                   (818) 393-4643 fax