[Sis-csi] RE: networking details

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 8 16:44:15 EST 2007

Assi Friedman wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> Aren't we jumping the gun? The original post was seeking suggestions
> for moving forward on an international discussion. My suggestion was
> to put on the table an issue we consider to be a soft spot based on
> experience gained in a number of past missions. Whether those points
> have merit in the international scope -- is yet to be seen.
>
> The only point is that it should be considered.

But we are all busy people, Assi.  Considering an issue honestly and
thoroughly takes time and money, neither of which are ample for our
purposes.  I expect this is why you added a couple of sentences of
rationale to your suggestion -- to argue that this is indeed an issue
that needs to be considered by this working group in an international
forum, an issue that merits the group's investment in time and energy.
I don't think it's unreasonable for the working group to ask for some
amplification of that rationale before committing to spend its resources
considering the issue.

For example, you note that you raise the issue based on experience
gained in a number of past missions.  By way of helping everyone
understand why the issue really does need to be considered, can you say
a few words about which missions those were and what kinds of
experiences led you to an awareness of the problem?  Was anything
published on this experience?

Nobody's proposing that we hash the issue out here and now, only that we
should have enough data at hand to be able to make an informed decision
on your suggestion.

Scott