[Sis-csi] RE: networking details

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Thu Feb 8 15:51:16 EST 2007

But what I said was: "IPv4 and SCPS-NP packets can both be carried
natively in CCSDS data link layers."  And if you want lower overhead,
SCPS-NP has lower overhead than IP, certainly lower than IPv6,
especially if you touch IPSec tunnel mode.

Frequency, bandwidth, modulation, coding -- I'm not sure what impact
choices in any of these areas have on whether or not one can carry IP
traffic (until you get into issues of PLR).  There's a whole separate
CCSDS area that deals with space links services (SLS); if you've got
suggestions about better modulation, coding, etc., I'm sure they'd be
interested:

	Area Director: Mr. Jean-Luc Gerner
	ESA/European Space Technology Centre
	Postbus 299
	2200 A.G. Noordwijk
	The Netherlands

	Telephone: +31 71 565 4473
	FAX: +31 71 565 4596
	E-mail: Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int

I specifically restricted cislunar's scope to 'above data link' to
avoid overlap with SLS.

What do you mean by: "we are very constrained on uplinks if we follow
standard CCSDS?"  What is it that we can't do?

I'm all for more symmetric links, but I would think that AOS would be
able to handle those.  Was the lack of a 'symmetric' data link layer
what you meant by restricted?

        --keith