[Sis-csi] Cislunar section 4

Scott,Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Fri Sep 2 11:23:26 EDT 2005

Replies inline.  Yes, it took me until I got out of the network section
to figure out exactly what your scope was there.  I did go back and
redo my responses based on that.

I think there are two (related) main points here:

1) I think QoS is a requirement.  You mention that we want to ensure
that users who want low-latency get it.  Without QoS, IP makes no claim
as to packet latency.  Even diffserv doesn't necessarily address
latency cleanly; there can still be queueing within a given traffic
class.  Integrated services lets you reserve bandwidth per flow, which
might work for NASA (relatively small number of flows, even in the
'core'), but is more complicated.

2) My model has always been a single network for voice, video, and data
(including C2).  Having a single infrastructure lets us make efficient
use of the bandwidth by statistically multiplexing lots of users onto
it.  You talk about an 'astronaut' RF link and a 'mission' RF link: are
you thinking of separate networks?

        --keith