[Sis-csi] Basic network diagrams

Leigh Torgerson ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 19 12:01:53 EDT 2005

When I think of how to explain some of this stuff to people who
haven't the foggiest idea what TCP/IP means, I have to back up to a
more abstract or functional level..

When trying to explain all this stuff to a mere mortal who just wants
data to get from point A to point B somehow, we have 3 concepts that
are important: 1. Links, 2. management of links when more than one is
needed to get from A to B, and 3. management of data flows by content
(and eventually priority) once the final destination is reached.

1. Everyone basically understands links. What they don't understand
is why all the fuss about protocols. So you need them for automation
of both end-to-end data paths and for the sorting/prioritization of
data flows.

2. You can handle the management of links and switching between
multiple possible paths using Routing protocols. Couple of ways to do
that, IP being the means Keith shows of course. For dissimilar
networks (no common address space), we have DTN BP. For non-IP-based
systems, we have CFDP EP or SFO.

3. Addressing of data by TCP/UDP port or by CCSDS virtual channel is
how you automate the management of data flowing to the right place on
the other end of a link or series of links. Again, for some systems,
TCP/UDP is fine, for others, CCSDS VCs work (and work with a very
large currently installed base).

The main message is that single channel, manually-managed links are
tantamount to having the old party line and operator switchboard
telephone system. We need new means of automation, but we have to be
careful to pay due regard for both legacy systems and for systems
that consist of disconnected or disjoint networks that do not share
common address space. Light time considerations are also a factor in
choosing what protocol to use of course - have to fold that into the
story as well..

Leigh

J. Leigh Torgerson                           ltorgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Communications Systems Research Sec. 331
NASA Space Communications Protocol Standards (SCPS) Project CTM
(818) 393-0695                                   (818) 393-4643 fax