[Sis-csi] Basic network diagrams

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 19 06:38:35 EDT 2005

Keith: thanks for the clarifications. I guess that the exercise points out
that if we are going to put in some basic tutorial information, it helps to
keep it really simple so that people don't read specific design choices
into it. That's why I prefer something like Forrest Warthman's diagrams.

>I'm not sure exactly how this diagram will be used.  For now it was
>just an attempt to stick all sorts of acronyms in their relative
>positions on the page.   It includes lots of other protocols and
>technologies to help other folks understand where they fit and to
>give us a map to scribble in potential options for further study.

That may be appropriate for a document that is attempting to justify a
large technology development program, but - as standardizers - aren't we
trying to narrow the options here? It seems like our primary current
customers (ESMD and Aurora) are mainly looking for a robust, well-proven,
consensus architecture that will do the job, not a shopping list of new
technologies in which to "invest". So shouldn't the Cislunar work focus on
just adding the necessary and sufficient set of new capabilities onto the
current installed base in an evolutionary way, rather than starting over?

///adrian