[Sis-csi] IPv6 and transition information

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 11 13:05:03 EST 2005

All,

   In this mornings discussion we talked about IPv4 and IPv6 and
supporting one or the other or both.  So far we couldn't come up with
any strong reason for selecting just one or the other.  That leads us
to start looking at what it means to support both in some fashion.
The following links have some useful information on IPv6 in general
as well as some discussion on various options for supporting both.

  Some nice documents from Microsoft related to IPv6

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/2/5/525343cc-7ba4-4e3b-a96a-c7a040d98d2d/IPv6.doc

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/6/f/46f82ffb-89ed-45b1-9a51-2070794853e3/IPv6Trans.doc

  Of course Cisco has some info.  Chapter 5 is about transition

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/iosswrel/c1127/cdccont_0900aecd8018e369.pdf

  The main Cisco IPv6 site is at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/ipv6/

   Cisco transition story written by Microsoft.  Links in upper right
to both Cisco and Microsoft IPv6 repositories.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/about/ac123/ac114/ac173/Q4-04/tech_transitioning.html

   One other nice presentation from Juniper.

http://www.ipv6-es.com/02/docs/luis_palacios.pdf

   I will try to distill this down to the more relevant points for
our space communication scenarios that are also being developed.  We
need to figure out the impact of v4 or v6 on the various parts of
our communication systems.  Core components may need to worry more
about supporting both, while end systems may just pick whichever one
they want to use.  We need to keep this in mind as we work out
more details on the other discussion on endpoints and communication
scenarios over time.

   Keith Hogie                   e-mail: Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
   Computer Sciences Corp.       office: 301-794-2999  fax: 301-794-9480
   7700 Hubble Dr.
   Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706  USA        301-286-3203 @ NASA/Goddard