[Sis-csi] Communications Endpoints

Keith Scott kscott at mitre.org
Fri Mar 11 09:07:43 EST 2005

This was just to make the standard MobileIP point: IP assumes a binding
between IP address and location in the network topology that mobility
breaks.  Spacecraft that attach to the Internet via different ground
stations will act like mobile nodes in this context (with some caveats).

In the 'no boundaries' IP scenario, no, the comm center wouldn't necessarily
know who's communicating or when.  The comm center, or even the S/C
manufacturer, could house a MobileIP home agent (maybe for the entire S/C
via network mobility), and each groundstation could be a foreign agent.
Most data might not even flow through a control center in this case (some
setup info would if the HA is at the control center).

There are a number of other approaches, including advertising all the SC
addresses from the control center and dynamically stitching up tunnels to
ground stations from there.  This is slightly different than regular
MobileIP, in that all data would flow through the control center (there
would be no provision for eliminating the 'triangle routing problem').  It
has advantages, however, security being one of them.

		--keith