FW: [Sis-csi] Communications Endpoints

Keith Scott kscott at mitre.org
Fri Mar 11 08:57:41 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Greenberg [mailto:egreenbe at jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:28 PM
To: Keith Scott
Subject: Re: [Sis-csi] Communications Endpoints

At 07:46 AM 3/10/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Mobility: Space assets may attach to the terrestrial Internet though
>some number of ground stations.  Terrestrial endpoints that want to
>route data to space must send packets towards the correct ground
>station.  While normal IP routing could in principle take care of this
>(provided the correct ground station started advertising the space IP
>addresses in routing protocol updates at the right times), in practice
>the time required for IP routing tables to converge is too long to make
>this a viable alternative if short-to-moderate length passes are to be
supported.

Do mean to say that the operations center will not know which node will be
in contact with the S/C ?   I would suspect that the Ops center to comm
node will use a secure socket set up between the two points.

Progress is impossible when you always do things the way they have always
been done.