[Sea-sa] [EXTERNAL] Re: Second cut at CSS FRM and SOIS EDS integration approach

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 15 19:21:21 UTC 2021

Hi Felix,

Thanks again for keeping this dialogue going.  The more that we can all communicate with the intent to reach a common understanding the better off we will all be.

FRM – I agree completely that the FRM, with some suitable broadening of focus, should be able to describe abstract protocol functions in space just as it does on for ground stations.  In fact, it should also serve equally well for any protocol functions within an MOS.

EDS – since these are intended to describe interfaces of fully realized components, whether hardware of software, I also agree that they should be as useful on the ground as they are in space deployment.  Here too, however, they may require some broadening of focus and some new interface bindings.  That said, at the protocol level I do not believe that the EDS and DOT provide anything other than the means to describe the PDUs that get emitted at the interfaces of spacecraft devices that spacecraft on-board comm links.

So I would agree that implementations, per se, will continue to be agency (or vendor) specific, but that interoperable descriptions of the interfaces of these components can be produced with EDS and DOT, after any necessary new binding types are added to the DOT.

For CSTS MD & SC I do not see how these can be generalized for use in space, but I do agree that the FRM set, and the functionality that MD and SC offer, can be expanded to cover DTN related services and components on the ground.  I do not think that the MD-CSTS and SC-CSTS can be generalized for use in space deployments.

In contrast, I do believe that the AMA / ADM standards that are being defined in the IETF for use with DTN can be used both in space and terrestrially.  They are defined to be used in an asynchronous mode and with potentially delayed delivery or in disconnected environments.  So they are immune to the usual issues related to delay and disconnection.  Based on the analysis I have done, I believe that the issue with using AMA and ADM is that right now they only offer reporting and monitor data delivery, they do not (yet) offer DTN network management in any sort of active control sense, and they are not yet well secured.

In fact, the whole issue of how to secure communications, and to secure the network and its management, in a multi-agency interoperable way is still very much in discussion.  There are security mechanisms built into BPv7 and BPSec, and these support encryption, authentication, and both together.  Using these to manually secure communications is possible.  These features can be used, as is, with pre-emplaced keys and relying upon pre-determined, and implicitly trusted, “identities” of participating nodes and users.  The problem, to my way of thinking, is that there is as yet no established and formalized way to define and use unimpeachable identities of communicating nodes and other entities that participate in communications, for configuration, control, and reporting on any sort of multi-agency network.

I just gave a presentation to the CMC that detailed the concepts that I have been exploring about how to secure the future CCSDS DTN functions.  It was well received and it had review by several of the CCSDS Security and DTN experts.  This is conceptual, and much more work needs to be done to make it a reality, but I offer it up here for consideration and to request feedback.  Perhaps we can use this as a sort of conceptual framework around which we can formulate the specific standards that we agree are needed to reach a viable, secure, future multi-agency DTN deployment.

Thanks, Peter