[Sea-sa] Minutes of SEA SAWG Webex, 14 May 20, and Fertling around

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu May 14 19:22:50 UTC 2020

Dear SEA SAWG,

Thanks again for your support of the ASL PID and RID review sessions.  I think we are continuing to make excellent progress.  My abbreviated notes for the 14 May 20 Webex are attached.  All three of the edited spreadsheets, with updates and the addition of an "Assign/Done" column, as agreed, have been loaded onto the CWE website with a new date of 14 May 20.  Only these updated spreadsheets have been retained on the website, to reduce clutter and confusion.  There is only the one SOIS spreadsheet that remains to be processed, and we will do that in a week, on 21 May.

All of the page and section references are relative to the actual PDF version of the ASL document that the CESG reviewed which been out on the website since 4 May.  It is the PDF file named "371x0g0_CESG_Approval".

Attendees: Peter Shames, Ramon Krosley, Roger Thompson, Yonghui Huang, Eric Poole, Liangqing Lu, Christian Stangl

Topics:

  1.  Reviewed the kinds of edits already initiated in the Word doc to resolve the issues raised in the major PID from EJB.  This PID was to the effect that the document is now structured, sub-optimally, around the two areas MOIMS and SOIS rather than the sets of related functions. In almost every instance references to MOIMS have been converted to "Mission Operations (MO) functions" and references to SOIS have been converted to "Spacecraft Onboard (SO) functions".  We will still have references to the areas in the intro and to the MO framework, where needed.
  2.  The group concurred with the overall approach that is being taken, subject to review.  Once the GREP or MOIMS == MO and SOIS == SO edits were applied, track changes is being used to make the scope of the rest of these changes as obvious as possible.
  3.  Next meeting will be next Thursday, 21 May.  We will continue with the SOIS spreadsheet that Ramon is updating.
  4.  Once we are done with this all spreadsheets will be merged and sorted to ensure that there are no disjoint / overlap issues.
  5.  We agreed to produce an edited Word document that includes all of the needed changes and to send that back to the CTE, Tom Gannett.  This is in preference to sending him changes in a From: / To: format.  We will send him only the edited figures that we need to change.
     *   To allow working in parallel the final set of edited spreadsheets will be sent to the CESG and the other reviewers, seeking their concurrence while we edit the document
     *   PS to tackle the overall MO/SO editing changes and those related to security and other global topics (marked PS in the Assign/Done column)
     *   RK will then tackle the overall SO set of changes next (marked RK in the Assign/Done column)
     *   RT to then tackle the overall MO set of changes last (marked RST in the Assign/Done column)
     *   The WG will review and concur on the combined final document before it is sent back to the CTE and the CESG for final approval and forwarding to the CMC for publication

One last note of humor.  During the discussion Roger asserted that we were fertling about too much with the document.  He meant it at the time to suggest that we might be using a sledgehammer where a scalpel might be more appropriate.  After we had a good laugh at the word itself, which seems to be a bit of UK-specific dialect, we went back to work.  A few of us, myself included, have a love of unusual words, so we did further digging (fertling also can mean that).  Turns out that it is most often used to mean "To fiddle with, improve, mess about with, fix, adjust."  That is just what we are doing to the document, nothing pejorative in it.  Turns out that there does appear to be a somewhat pejorative use of the word, but it is less common.  But let's face it, fertling is pretty uncommon to begin with.  ;-}   See a couple of screen shots I went fertling for, attached for your viewing pleasure.

To my mind English words can be a surprise and delight because they come from so many different sources.    I suspect the same is true of other languages as well.  Just out of curiosity, are there German, or Chinese, or whatever words that capture in one word, what fertling means?  Or maybe only Brits are known to fertle?  Sort of like the Eskimos are said to have close to 17 words to describe snow.  We seem to get by, mostly, with just "snow" and some adjectives.

Enjoy.
Best regards and take care, Peter