[MOIMS] [CMC] Rough, unofficial CESG "top 10" highlights from Athens

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Thu Apr 21 07:09:57 UTC 2005

FYI

----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 21/04/2005 09:09 -----

                      "Adrian J. Hooke"
                      <adrian.j.hooke at jp         To:      CCSDS Management Council <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>
                      l.nasa.gov>                cc:      CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - ADs <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
                      Sent by:                   Subject: [CMC] Rough, unofficial CESG "top 10" highlights from Athens
                      cmc-bounces at mailma
                      n.ccsds.org

                      20/04/2005 23:21

The CESG met for a couple of hours last Friday meeting to summarize the major
points from the week of meetings in Athens. Formal and complete Area Reports
and resolutions should be available by 13 May. Meanwhile, here is a quick and
completely unofficial personal summary of the highlights, which I gleaned
from my notes. This summary is presented as preliminary information only and
corrections by the Area Directors are welcome, if I missed or misrepresented
anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. The CSS Service Management Red Book schedule cannot be maintained unless
the continued support of Paula Quintela is guaranteed.

2. The SOIS "TCONS" and "Bus-LAN" Working Groups have been suspended
indefinitely by the Area Director, pending an in-depth Area-level review of
the reasons for their slow progress.

3. The SIS Space Packet Protocol WG, the SIS Unacknowledged CFDP Extensions
WG, and the SIS DTN-BOF have all completed their work and are closing down.

4. The SIS Cislunar Working Group seriously needs some support outside of
NASA, in particular by the ESA Aurora program.

5. The SLS "new codes" (LDPCC) BOF has failed to reach agreement on needs and
requirements as has been dissolved.

6. The Prox-1 Build 2 Working Group is deadlocked over a BNSC/JPL
disagreement about the performance effects of symbol-to-symbol jitter
specification. Both sides are to prove their performance claims.

7. We need to find a mechanism to disseminate the new Data Compression (and
other) reference software. The "Open Channel Foundation"
http://www.openchannelfoundation.org should be explored.

8. The Systems Engineering Area Director is "deeply troubled" by what he
considers to be the unprecedented termination of the Systems Architecture
Working Group.

9. There is concern that locking our meeting cycle to the OMG's results in an
uneven working cycle for CCSDS. Approximately 50% of the SLS WGs will not
meet in Atlanta.

10. The presentation of content on the CCSDS website needs major work, and we
need a training session on the CWE.