[MOIMS] [CESG] CESG POLL: RESPONSE REQUIRED - RASDS Issue-1 Red Book

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Thu Aug 19 08:45:54 UTC 2004

I have to cast my vote by 6th September 2004.

Please let me know if you as WG Chairmen have any comments against the following

     Shall the CESG recommend to the CMC that the Proposed Standard "CCSDS
     800.0-R-1 (draft), Reference Architecture for Space Data Systems" has
     reached a sufficient level of maturity to be released as an Issue-1 Draft
     Standard (Red Book) for formal Agency review?

Thanks

ciao
nestor

----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 19/08/2004 10:43 -----
|--------+------------------------------>
|        |          "Adrian J. Hooke"   |
|        |          <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.|
|        |          nasa.gov>           |
|        |          Sent by:            |
|        |          cesg-bounces at mailman|
|        |          .ccsds.org          |
|        |                              |
|        |                              |
|        |          18/08/2004 20:50    |
|        |                              |
|--------+------------------------------>
  |       To:     CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - ADs                       |
  |       <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>                                             |
  |       cc:     CCSDS Document Rapporteur <Stephen.Harris at btas.com>          |
  |       Subject:     [CESG] CESG POLL: RESPONSE REQUIRED - RASDS Issue-1 Red |
  |       Book                                                                 |

The Area Director for Systems Engineering wishes to publish the Reference
Architecture for Space Data Systems as an Issue-1 Red Book (Draft Standard) for
formal Agency review. Accordingly, a poll has been set up as follows:
     +++++++++++++++++
     Title: RASDS ISSUE-1 RED BOOK

     Shall the CESG recommend to the CMC that the Proposed Standard "CCSDS
     800.0-R-1 (draft), Reference Architecture for Space Data Systems" has
     reached a sufficient level of maturity to be released as an Issue-1 Draft
     Standard (Red Book) for formal Agency review?

     Approve
     Disapprove
     Approve With Comment (state conditions)
     Disapprove With Comment (state conditions)
     Open: 18 August
     Close: 25 August
     ++++++++++++++++++

To vote in this poll, go to:
http://www.ccsds.org/polls
Log-in using:
Username: cesg
Password: cesg

Click on the poll: "RASDS ISSUE-1 RED BOOK" and cast your vote. In doing so, you
are reminded that the advancement from Draft Standard (White Book) to proposed
Standard is a major step. The criteria are expressed in section 2.3 of the
Restructuring document, and are summarized as follows:
     CCSDS Draft Standard (Red Book)

     Elevation to Draft Standard is a major advance in status, indicating a
     strong belief that the specification is mature and will be useful. A second
     explicit CESG and CMC approval action is required to move a Proposed
     Standard to the Draft Standard level. A Draft Standard must be well
     understood and known to be quite stable, both in its semantics and as a
     basis for developing an implementation.  It will generally go through
     several "Issues" during which time it will progressively become more
     mature. Every time that an Issue of a Draft Standard is published, it
     automatically triggers a formal Agency review and the results of that
     review must be satisfactorily incorporated before a new Issue can be
     published. Since formal Agency reviews consume resources, a "review budget"
     must be agreed by the CESG and the CMC prior to publishing the first Issue
     of a Draft Standard; this budget identifies how many review cycles can be
     consumed without re-authorization by the CMC. Each separate Issue must
     clearly state the status of the specification and must indicate the risks
     associated with implementing it in its current state.

     At some point in the evolution of a Draft Standard that is intended to
     result in a change to mission support infrastructure, at least one hardware
     or software prototype (or other implementation) must exist which
     demonstrates and exercises all of the options and features of the
     specification in an operationally relevant environment, either real or
     simulated. This point may be Issue-1, or it may be a later Issue depending
     on circumstances, but for most documents the implementation must exist
     prior to issuing a "final" Draft Standard. The WG Chair is responsible for
     documenting the specific implementation(s) that qualify the specification,
     along with reports relevant to their testing, or for justifying why such
     implementation is either inappropriate or should otherwise be waived.  The
     documentation of the qualifying implementation must include clear
     statements about its ability to support each of the individual options and
     features.  If patented or otherwise controlled technology is required for
     the implementation, it must be demonstrated that the licensing process and
     fees are fair and non-discriminatory

     In its final stages of Issue, a Draft Standard is normally considered to be
     a final specification, and changes are likely to be made only to solve
     specific problems encountered.  In most circumstances, it is fairly safe
     for users to deploy implementations of the final Issue of a Draft Standard
     into a disruption sensitive operational environment.
You are also reminded that in making this determination, your Area Director
approval role includes:
     1.      Making recommendations to the CESG for the progression of WG
     documents as they approach key decision gates along the various
     standardization tracks.
     2.      Ensuring that all Area work follows the set of architectural
     principles agreed by the CESG and is properly synchronized with the smooth
     evolution of the large installed base of CCSDS-compatible mission support
     infrastructure.
Many thanks
Adrian
  (See attached file: 800x0-R-1.pdf)