[Moims-sc] Updated MO Green book for WG review

Michele Zundo michele.zundo at esa.int
Tue Mar 5 14:55:31 UTC 2019

Dear Sam,

I have not looked at the GB since quite some time and the present version is a great improvement.

here 2 general points.

1) Use cases
Regarding the current version (being a GB) it is important to clarify use case and rationale and
section 2 does address these points.

My main concern is that the presented use cases are very TT&C centric mimicking what is done in Space Science
at ESA where a single entity is interfacing for both TT&C and Payload/science data to what we call MOC and SOC
and assume this is always the case

This is not the general use case in EO neither when it is all handled by ESA nor when other institutions are
involved (e.g. Eumetsat) or even US partners (e.g. JPL/NASA/CNES/EUM for Sentinel 6).
Here the data flow and responsibility for TT&C and for payload/science data acquisition (ground station)
and for processing are decoupled and in some case the “science” operation are not performed directly by
whoever process the data. In our drawings e.g. Fig 3-8 or Fig 3-11 the Planning/command and control are currently
always coupled with the “data product”data flow. Note also that for EO the payload data is not called Telemetry as
that therm is customarily reserved for data related to TT&C (e.g. HKTM)

We should make clear to all data processing stakeholders that a properly implemented MO services have the potential to
ease their interfacing between various entities and for various purposes and not restrict it only to the domain of  TT&C by
presenting some relevant use case.

I would propose therefore to define a use case where data processing entity is not the same that is responsible
of the the operation to show explicitly that MO is also good for these type of interfaces
(e.g. could be a Level 2 data processing center). I could sketch something if you like and then leave to you
to make it in the same graphic style as the current.

2) Presentation aspects
there is a list of “user level” functional services on page 10, but that is a bit “hidden” in a bullet list and most prominence
is given to the lower level mechanism to implement these that target implementors.
I would give more prominence to the list on page 10 as this is what a decision maker would look at. I also would not
mix in section 9 high level functional services with lower level  things like MAL, COM etc. now they come one after
 the other section 9.2 and 9.3 so you get in one page “Planning” and immediately in front “Binding to TCP/IP”.
Most Project manager I know would understand Planning services, but would steer clear of “TCP/IP”…so I would split them
more clearly in the document.

Michele