[Moims-sc] Updated MO Green book for WG review

Roger Thompson roger.rocketbrain at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 7 19:27:57 UTC 2019

Hi Sam,

A copy of the document with my comments attached.

My general reaction is that it is more readable and consistent with MO Services as currently specified than the old GB – so a good piece of work.

I do have some observations which I have documented as comments in the attached.

Key points:

-          Lacks a conceptual “Rich Picture” that can get across the MO Concept for the non-UML literate.

-          I think you should pull out the Information aspect of MO Services – this is not really addressed:  each service has a set of Information Objects that represent the core Mission Operations information exposed at the Service Interface.  For M&C this is Parameters, Actions, Alerts, etc.; for MPS it is Activities, Events, Resources, Plans and Requests.  For NAV it would be the various data formats defined already: Orbit Data, Attitude Data, Tracking Data, etc.  I have an information viewpoint in my SEA Reference Architecture work which already identifies this for the MO Service domain.

-          We seem to have dropped some of the future roadmap MO Services that were identified in the previous GB.  I don’t think we should be dropping things from the future roadmap, even if we are not currently working on them: in particular where these are topics addressed in extant standards such as PUS, or identified within our CCSDS Level Reference Architecture.  In particular (as these are exposed to the space-ground interface and are significant Mission Operations topics:

o   NAV Services (overlaid on existing NAV data formats)

o   On-board Software and Configuration Management

o   Time Management Services

-          I think you could relatively easily tie the MO Concept in with the SEA System Architecture WG documents that outline how all CCSDS Standards play together:  the extant Space Communications Cross Support (SCCS) Architecture that defines how SLS, SIS and CSS Area standards play together; and the Application and Support Layer (ASL) Architecture that is essentially an Application Level reference architecture for Space Systems that shows how MO Services fit.  This is the document I am working on from a MOIMS (including MO) perspective.  This may help to show that MO is not an island with respect to other CCSDS standards.  A key aspect of this is to show deployment in terms of 3 main communications environments/contexts:  Ground Networks; Space Links and On-board.

-          In the above, and as part of the MPS WG activity, I have identified a number of common COM Object patterns for MO Service information objects.  These are found in the M&C Service and the basis of what we are doing in the MPS WG.  It may be useful to put this into the GB too (see below – I have text to go with it).

-

Cheers,

Roger