[Moims-ipr] Re: [Moims-dai] SANA charter

Don Sawyer Donald.M.Sawyer at nasa.gov
Sun Oct 23 15:56:48 EDT 2005

Nestor,

Here are my comments on the latest SANA charter.

The latest version of the SANA charter has incorporated most of the
changes I had previously recommended, but not all.  I feel that the
sentence and four bullets, in the second main paragraph, starting as
‘In general, the SANA team will provide:…” needs change.  First, it is
not clear what is the ‘SANA Team’ – the SANA WG, SANA operational
entity, some other combination?.  Bullets 2 and 3, and possibly 4, are
not something that the SANA Operations Entity is likely to be able to
support directly due to a lack of expertise in a small operational unit
(maybe a person).   These are activities that GSFC had proposed would
be handled mostly by a SANA advisory group, which we agreed in Atlanta
would be something that the CESG could agree to support when the SANA
operational entity began under the CESG guidance.

Regarding the four categories, it should be clear that category 4 is
not a near term focus and I don’t believe it should be considered in
approaching deliverable 1 on registry requirements.

Deliverable 2 on developing a prototype should be contingent on
demonstrating in deliverable 1 that there are sufficient detailed
requirements to make the prototype a feasible next step.  It may be
that there will be other ‘directions’ that should be pursued, with
deliverables, before a prototype is pursued.

It now appears that deliverable 3 is one option, a standard
(deliverable 4) is another.  Perhaps it should be and/or, but I like
that it is not fully tied down at this point.  In fact, I think after
deliverable 1 is provided, there should be a full review and update to
the charter and direction, depending on the findings.

Regarding the schedule, I think everything after the delivery of the
requirements assessment in April should be tentative and subject to
full revision pending the findings.

A review comment I saw raised the issue of how SANA would work with
other registry authorities outside CCSDS(like NORAD) .  I find this to
be very premature and not something that any SANA operation entity
would be able to address on its own.  It is not something that the SANA
WG would address because the need for such an interaction has not even
been adequately defined, let alone the specifics of the overlap that
would need coordination.  As a practical matter, a CCSDS WG needs to
define their requirements for a registry service, including just what
entities need to be registered, who has authority to make such
registrations, who has access to the registrations, and how updates to
these registrations are to be handled.  I believe that only when these
details are agreed by the WG, and there is a corresponding need for
coordination with some entity outside CCSDS, can there be a practical
approach to getting such coordination.

In summary, the scope of the proposed charter has been substantially
narrowed from previous versions.   The main change I’d like to see if
the need for full evaluation after the 1st deliverable, and possibly
after each deliverable subsequently.

ciao,

Don