[Moims-ipr] Re: [Moims-dai] Re: CESG RESOLUTION: "Panel-2" Document Reaffirmation (CESG-03 -013)

John Garrett moims-ipr@mailman.ccsds.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:59:55 -0500

Hi,

My personal opinion is that we have a lot of data at NSSDC in the archive
in SFDU format.
We expect that data to remain in that format for the next 20-50 years.  So
I  would like for the standards to remain standards.

Using IETF as a model, IP remains a standard even though IPv6 has been
available for many years and is preferred over IP.  This is the model that
we should use for the SFDU standards remaining standards even with our
creation of an XFDU standard which should replace the SFDU standards for
new work.

I'm concerned about the damage we are starting to do to the reputation of
CCSDS standards if we start converting all CCSDS standards to "historical"
status in under 10 years.  Many project life cycles are longer than
that.   Why will they pick up CCSDS standards when they expect the
organization promoting them will consider them obsolete while the project
is still active?

Cheers,
-JOhn