[Moims-dai] Updated draft GB for OAIS-IF

david at giaretta.org david at giaretta.org
Mon May 17 11:01:32 UTC 2021

Hi Robert

See below.

From: MOIMS-DAI <moims-dai-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org> On Behalf Of Robert Rovetto via MOIMS-DAI
Sent: 16 May 2021 22:34
To: MOIMS-DAI List <moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org>
Cc: Robert Rovetto <ontologos at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Moims-dai] Updated draft GB for OAIS-IF

I have some preliminary input on the draft. Please let me know if it is helpful.

1) On Page 5 we read "Physical Object: An object (such as a moon rock, bio-specimen, microscope slide) with physically observable properties that represent information that is considered suitable for being adequately documented for preservation, distribution, and independent usage"

QUESTION: Are you trying to say that physical properties of physical objects represent information?

Or are you trying to say that documented information represents those properties?

This is taken from OAIS. The meaning concerns, I believe, the documentation of the observable properties.  So for example Representation Information for a physical book would include “This is written in English” and “the text in RED should be taken as a joke”. The Provenance would be “This was written by Fred and published by John”. The Reference Information is “the ISBN”, or perhaps “Top shelf or the bookcase on the right” etc.

OBSERVATION/INPUT

>From a philosophical ontological perspective, each claim would exemplify a distinct ontological priority.

Traditionally, it is data or information that represents the characteristics (i.e. properties, features, attributes, qualities, etc.) of things or objects.

Depends what you mean. The problem is that there are various traditions.

RECOMMENDATION: If you intend the latter--documented information or data is what represents the features of objects--then rephrase accordingly.

It would be helpful if you could suggest some wording.

2) On Page 4 we read "Information:Any type of knowledge that can be exchanged. In an exchange, it is represented by data."

OBSERVATION/INPUT: The distinction between data, information and knowledge is a long-standing one in intellectual inquiry. Are you sure you want to say that information is a type of knowledge?

Yes, unless you can suggest some other wording.

Often information is characterized as data (raw content or symbols) that is interpreted by an intelligent agent. Then knowledge is sometimes characterized as the next stage (for lack of a better work) from information, i.e., information that an agent applies or yield true justified belief. Knoweldge is often defined as justified true belief, but the distinction between data information and knoweldge is a challenging one to characterize.

Agreed – many years ago we chose definitions which we thought were practical for what we needed to do. We were not trying to settle centuries old debates.

3) 'Content Data Object' is mentioned in the Glossary, but it does not seem to be defined.

I will add some wording to clarify.

Very respectfully,

Robert Rovetto

Thanks Robert – always helpful to get a new viewpoint and to look again at the fundamentals. As you will see from my answers, my response tends to be to ask for specific wording or specific alternatives. Perhaps others have different answers.

--

Afford others the opportunity to succeed, learn and grow.

-

Urgently open to work & study/PhD opportunities worldwide.

-

Schedule a Meeting <http://tinyurl.com/r2qb6d42> .

Hire services <https://tinyurl.com/yas7trzy> .

NASA Datanauts Open Data Initiative <https://open.nasa.gov/blog/welcome-datanauts-2017-spring-class/>

Research Affiliate <http://www.coder.umd.edu/node/287> , Center for Orbital Debris Education  <http://www.coder.umd.edu/research-affiliates> & Research

Education Committee, International Association for Ontology and its Applications.

Orbital Space Domain Knowledge Modeling Project <http://purl.org/space-ontology>
(Seeking formal collaborations & Sponsors. Support here <https://gogetfunding.com/creating-meaning-full-space-terminologies-knowledge-models-for-space-safety/> )

Google Scholar <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=jTkGEiMAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra> , ORCID Profile <http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3835-7817> , ResearchGate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Rovetto>  <http://philpapers.org/profile/46387>

Donate <https://gogetfunding.com/knowledge-organization-services-ontology-terminology-metadata-concept-analysis/>