FW: [Moims-dai] Additional Notes from telecon 9th Feb

David Giaretta david at giaretta.org
Tue Feb 23 16:41:23 UTC 2016

FYI

From: Rosemarie.Leone at esa.int [mailto:Rosemarie.Leone at esa.int]
Sent: 15 February 2016 12:57
To: David Giaretta <david at giaretta.org>
Subject: Re: [Moims-dai] Additional Notes from telecon 9th Feb

Hi  David, all,

sorry to use your private e-mail, I might not be able to join as I am part
of the Sentinel 3A Mission Control Team and we have a Launch Readiness
Review starting at 14:00 which last until 16:30.

I have reviewed the document and found it much more consolidated and in
scope.  In case I do not manage to join you and taking into account that I
stepped in late in the definition of this document content, It would be
great if you could put an action on me stating how I could help to improve
the document further and/or what is the next steps for me. I will work on
this week (I am on night shift)!

As a general comment, we use the following definition to Data Information
Knowledge in some EU project associated to an Earth Science Information and
Knowledge life- cycle (citation: Allen)

Talk to you later, R

Data, Information and Knowledge

There are no universally agreed definitions of data, information and
knowledge as they form a continuum. The following explanations should be
seen as a guidance to understand the use of these terms in this document.
Data can be defined as concrete objective facts, measurements or
observations that need to be processed  to  generate  information.   Data
may  be  stored  and  manipulated  digitally  in  lightly structured
documentary systems and/or highly structured data systems. Data can be
defined as bits and bytes arising from an observation (non repeatable), an
experiment (repeatable) or a computer simulation (calculated).

Information can be generated when data is categorised, analysed,
interpreted, summarised and placed in context that has structure and
meaning. Information are defined as relationship between items of data of
the form 'A is always associated with B in some way'.

Knowledge is information equipped with a notion of truth acquired through
analysis and aggregation, to which expert opinion, skills and expertise are
added, resulting in valuable assets that aid decision making. Knowledge is
mainly unstructured and can be tacit or explicit. Knowledge arise whenever
there is an understanding of causality in relationships, e.g. 'B happens
after A because of X' - this knowledge is shared globally.

ESA - European Space Agency
Rosemarie Leone | ESA Information Technology Department
ESOC | Robert-Bosch-Strasse 5, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel +49 6151 902854 | M. +49 (0) 152 01801844
rosemarie.leone at esa.int <mailto:rosemarie.leone at esa.int>  |
<http://www.esa.int/> www.esa.int