[Moims-dai] Re: DEDSL for review

Mike Martin tahoe_mike at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 26 14:23:46 UTC 2015

Hi Daniele

Thanks for your response.

On 10/26/2015 6:57 AM, Boucon Daniele wrote:
> 1.	The DEDSL abstract syntax is already a data description language
> and a data entity dictionary specification language. According to the
> CCSDS recommendation, "the representational attributes describe
> interpretational aspects of data or dictionary entities". Therefore,
> it possible (but not mandatory) to describe data structure with
> DEDSL. DEDSL abstract syntax is nevertheless not as rich as most data
> description languages : arrays can only have one dimension (if you
> want to describe a two dimension array, you have to define the array
> as the repetition of lines, each line being the repetition of
> elementary items).

Another problem that I hadn't thought of, how do you indicate the
location and structure (binary or ascii, msb or lsb, what size is the
field) of the value you are describing?  Would you envision that the
user would come up with their own conventions for doing that?  Do you
have any actual cases where users describe data structures with DEDSL?
If not I think it would be better to not publicize that capability as
though it were supported by DEDSL unless a standard mechanism for
presenting the location and structure information is included.

Thanks, Mike