[Moims-dai] FYI: Re:Comments on preservation workflow
Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr
Sun Nov 23 10:44:39 UTC 2014
For your information, please find below the comments on the LTDP preservation workflow sent last Friday, and the answer received from Mirko Albani.
Esther, I’ll complete these comments with your answer this Monday morning.
De : Mirko.Albani at esa.int [mailto:Mirko.Albani at esa.int]
Envoyé : vendredi 21 novembre 2014 22:06
À : Boucon Daniele
Cc : ltdp_wg at esa.int
Objet : Re:Comments on preservation workflow
many thanks for the very valuable comments which will be duly analysed and addressed next week. Similarly to the LTDP Guidelines we will reference existing standards like OAIS where needed but will try to keep the terminology in the document as close as possible to the Earth Observation one to maximise impact and use by EO data providers. The EO preservation workflow document will be then reviewed/approved at WGISS and provided as CEOS input for consideration by CCSDS.
Inviato da IBM Notes Traveler
Boucon Daniele --- Comments on preservation workflow ---
"Boucon Daniele" <Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr<mailto:Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr>>
ltdp_wg at esa.int<mailto:ltdp_wg at esa.int>
Ven, 21/Nov/2014 17:49
Comments on preservation workflow
[cid:23FA7FCB26C83C4098544D725A502D3A at EXCHANGE.CST.CNES.FR]
Please find below some high level comments:
· There are some inconsistencies in the viewgraph and in the document (see also comments in the attached document)
· Need to compare the terminology and structure for preservation from CASPAR, LTDP and some of the other documents in the bibliography.
· Concepts should be matched/better align with OAIS terminology (AIP, AIU, AIC. Also, section 5 of OAIS addresses software, versions, and editions.
· Definitions should be simplified, shortened and made to parallel the figures more. This should be done to better progress on rest of document.
· Does the labeling of ‘archive’ refers to an archive process in some general sense, rather than an actual Archive?
2 Relationships between concepts
· Need to clearly identify the role of stewardship: global organization, coordination, decision, … . This role is broader than the mission archive concerned by the Dataset/PDSC and the preservation workflow.
· Consolidation is a mix of acquisition (e.g gap filling), preservation and evolution (e.g transformation through reprocessing) activities, not ony preservation.
· Preservation acts on Consolidated Data. Not sure then Preservation should be included in Curation. Shall we then consider a “Curation workflow”
· Value adding: included in Stewardship or Curation? What’s the difference between “Data Record improvement” and “Value adding” in figure 1?
3 Steps and content
· It should be clarified at what point the workflow begins. That means: after a decision at a management level has been adopted (that means at the stewardship level). Note: this is the first step of the PAIMAS (faisability study before preliminary decision).
· items in the graphic don't align with the topics in the workflow chart except for consolidation: more correspondence is required
· some segments of the chart correspond to existing ccsds standards (initialization = paimas, implementation = pais, operations = oais?). That should be brought out somewhere and the terminology and activities from those standards incorporated into the LDTP workflow.
· Need for an ending point in the workflow (topic of retirement: this “end point” could be, after the preservation period (defined at the initialization phase), a decision point (keep on maintaining the data set for a time period to define, delete part/all of the data set, transfer the data set).
· How and where is hardware and software that is needed to access the data handled?
· the LTDP workflow covers initial acquisition, consolidation and preservation activities. While there is the opportunity to retrigger the preservation workflow in the operation phase. this aspect could be better developed. See for example the attached figure associated to the diagram dedicated to space missions under phase E and after, where stewardship/management appears in the box at the top, where the “cataloging activity” for all space missions, at the bottom, could be seen as value adding, and where different actions can trigger the process (initial, evolution, review).
Don’t hesitate to ask questions.
PS: these comments are gathered and organized from CCSDS discussions and comments.
This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only.
The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its
content is not permitted.
If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.
Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 39794 bytes
More information about the MOIMS-DAI