[Moims-dai] Prepararing tomorrow ICP telecon

Boucon Daniele Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr
Tue Nov 11 12:43:57 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Here are my notes to prepare the minutes, actions and work on ICP :

1.      Terminology
*       Preservation: ok
*       Curation = preservation + adding value: ok
*       Stewardship?
Discussion on the scope of stewardship: broader than the archive. Need for a new term?

MM: Need to compare the terminology and structure for preservation from CASPAR, LTDP and some of the other documents in the bibliography.

2.      ICP main steps and organization among steps

Different diagrams were presented and discussed:

Daniele (both attached): CNES (high level view, Archive and organization), and USGS from the USGS Science Data Lifecycle Model, Open-File Report 2013-1265 (see attached file)

David (both attached): extract figures from https://rd-alliance.org/group/active-data-management-plans/wiki/admp-scenarios.html, and http://www.alliancepermanentaccess.org/index.php/community/common-vision/

Esther (attached): draft view (sent by Stephane)

Katrin (in the preservation workflow sent the day before): LTDP view (from LTDP preservation workflow)

Action all (by end of the meeting): comments the LTDP preservation workflow (main steps, content, terminology).
At the end of the email: first gathered comments.

Action all for tomorrow telecon: have a look at the material discussed yesterday, for decision (main boxes + arrangement)

Cheers,

Daniele

Don :
But maybe the labeling of 'archive' doesn't mean an actual Archive, but is referring to an archive process in some general sense?

I also have some comments.  I was surprised to see that Katrin labeled everything under the Stewardship as being within the Archive.  That is o'k with me, but it means that a lot more has to be done to match their concepts with OAIS terminology.  In particular, terms like AIP and AIU and AIC need to be incorporated by them in order to clarify their thinking.  Also, section 5 of OAIS addresses software, versions, and editions.  My sense is that they really have not made an effort to absorb the OAIS terms and concepts, yet.   It would be good to devise a way to push them to become more familiar, possibly by revising some of their figures and/or text using OAIS terms and concepts.

Mike:
I was concerned that the items in the graphic don't align with the topics in the on the workflow chart except for consolidation.  Maybe that is fine, but I would like to see more correspondence.

I mentioned that some segments of the chart correspond to existing ccsds standards (initialization = paimas, implementation = pais, operations = oais?).  That should be brought out somewhere and the terminology and activities from those standards incorporated into the LDTP workflow.

There may need to be a topic of retirement in the preservation bubble.

How and where is hardware and software that is needed to access the data handled.?

I agree that we need to compare the terminology and structure for preservation from CASPAR, LTDP and some of the other documents in the bibleography.

Daniele:
First of all, I fully agree with the simplification of the workflow with a limited number of main steps, it is clearer and easier to understand with synthetic diagrams, even if we have not exactly the same grouping at CNES.

I'd suggest to add a sort of "end point", that could be, after the preservation period (defined at the initialization phase), a decision point (keep on maintaining the data set for a time period to define, delete part/all of the data set, transfer the data set).

I'd also propose to update and simplify the definitions (e.g. value adding better in Stewardship?).