[Css-dts] Put latest drafts of SLE API documentation on docushare?

Michael Stoloff Michael.J.Stoloff@jpl.nasa.gov
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:10:31 -0800

John,

The purpose of this message is to seek certain clarification with respect
to your request.  The following background information may be relevant in
this context.

The DSN as an SLE service provider has inter-operated for actual mission
operations with ESA, ISAS (now JIXA), JHU/APL, and NASA/JPL SLE service
users.  Further, JPL flight projects have now inter-operated as SLE service
users with an ESA SLE service provider.  Based on that collective
experience, I believe that there is exactly one, de facto, inter-operable,
version 1, SLE services and protocols standard.  Moreover, I believe I can
identify a very specific set of documents (down to the specific version of
each document) that, taken together, constitute a complete and accurate
specification of what I am calling the de facto version 1 SLE standard.

I am guessing that what the GSFC flight projects really want is to be able
to inter-operate on the same basis as the implementations I have listed
above.  If that is the case, then I suggest what they need is the complete
set of documents that I have in mind.

If that sounds about right to you, then I would be happy to work with you
and Wolfgang to put that complete set of documents together in one
place.  (Note that there are a few minor complications with the
documentation that would have to be addressed to complete the task, but
nothing that we shouldn't be able to resolve in relatively short order.)

BTW, the set of documents that I have in mind does not include either the
RAF or CLTU Issue 1 Blue Books.  It does include versions of the RAF and
CLTU books, but the exact versions of those books that correspond to the de
facto version 1 SLE standard are not the published Blue Books.

This whole situation is, of course, somewhat unsatisfactory (though, as
things developed, I think it was the unavoidable price we paid in order to
get SLE off the ground at all).  There is a plan in work to get to a point
where the de facto standard and the official, published Recommendations are
fully consistent.  That plan is based on publishing Issue 2 Blue Books and
moving to a version 2 SLE standard.  The differences between the de facto
version 1 standard and the de jure / de factor version 2 standard should be
very minor, but there seems to be a consensus that those minor enhancements
are in the best interest of SLE in the long run.  Once the version 2
standard is fully documented and implemented, I believe both JPL and ESA
would intend to de-commit support for the version 1 standard after a
suitable transition period.  In the spirit of full disclosure, those
considerations should be explained to the GSFC flight projects.

Just my two cents worth.  Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

--Regards,
   Michael