[Css-dts] Put latest drafts of SLE API documentation on docushare?

John Pietras pietras@gst.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:08:19 -0500

Michael,
The specific project that sparked this request is ST-5, and your
assumption is correct that interoperability with the existing
implementations is the key driver. So your offer to put together the de
facto library is most welcome. Perhaps an "implementation version"
subdirectory of the public DTSWG docushare space would be the
appropriate repository, with correspondence directed to the SLE
implementers' mail list
(sle-imp@mailman.ccsds.org).

In this same vein, I talked yesterday with Tim Ray of GSFC. Tim will be
developing the CLTU implementation for ST-5. One of the problems that
will be facing Tim is that GSFC does not want to use Solaris, so an
off-the-shelf application of the JPL API is not possible. He would
prefer to do a clean, non-API-based implementation (although I think
that I made him realize that all other things being equal, using an
existing API code base is the faster way to go). I mentioned to him that
NASDA (JAXA) did a non-API implementation, but I know that they had to
rely on material in (I believe) the proxy specification to complete the
information needed. You and I discussed some time ago that you thought
that you could generate a wire protocol specification relatively easily.
Even if we don't try to develop a CCSDS standard for such a protocol, an
"implementation note" that contains such material would be beneficial in
those cases where the use of the API is infeasible or inappropriate. At
a minimum, any notes that NASDA can provide about their experience
should be placed in this repository also.

Best regards,
John

Recommendations
> are
> fully consistent.  That plan is based on publishing Issue 2 Blue Books
and
> moving to a version 2 SLE standard.  The differences between the de
facto
> version 1 standard and the de jure / de factor version 2 standard
should
> be
> very minor, but there seems to be a consensus that those minor
> enhancements
> are in the best interest of SLE in the long run.  Once the version 2
> standard is fully documented and implemented, I believe both JPL and
ESA