[Css-csts] updated Errata sheets and posting them on the CWE

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Nov 12 20:25:29 UTC 2019

Dear Wolfgang,
Yes, we need some way to keep from simultaneously updating the same errata sheets. I agree with you that it is often more convenient to update an offline copy and replace the current on-line copy (I guess we’re both “old school” in that sense).

Fortunately right now it is only the two of us who are working with and updating the errata sheets (with exceptions for CFDP (Holger) and eventually CCSDS 415 (Tim)). For now, how about we try something like this: consider the personal responsible for a given FR to be the master of the corresponding errata sheet. It is assumed that the master can make changes to the errata sheets as desired and upload revisions when he is comfortable to do so. After uploading one or more revised errata sheets the master sends out an email identifying which errata sheets have been updated.

When the other (non-master) wants to update an errata sheet, he requests (by email) that the latest versions of the identified errata sheets be put on the CWE. If the master has made intermediate changes to one or more of the sheets, he uploads his latest working copies. The master then replies, naming which of the requested sheets have not changed since the last announced upload and which have been updated since the last announce upload. Custody of those errata sheets is now transferred to the other.

The other can then download those latest version(s) that have been recently updated and (a) check to see if the status of existing open items has been changed in the interim and respond as appropriate and/or (b) add new errata items that the other wants to put in. When the other has made whatever changes he wants, he uploads the revised versions and sends an email announcing the identity of the updated sheets. Custody of those sheets then returns to the master.

Note that this process does not prohibit either the master of the other from recording changes/new items when he does not have custody of a sheet. However, it is the responsibility of the person to whom custody has been transferred to check the latest version to see if his new updates are in any way affected or overcome by the person who had custody and modify his responses accordingly. For example, If both the master and the other simultaneously generate proposed solutions to a previously identified problem while the errata sheet is in the custody of the master, when the other requests the latest version, the master uploads the version with his (the master’s) proposed solution. Upon downloading and reviewing the latest update, the other should respond to the issue in light of the master’s proposed solution – e.g., by deciding that the master’s solution is preferable to his and concurring outright, proposing a modified solution that blends the master’s proposal with his, pointing out latent problems with the master’s proposed solution and proposing an alternative (which may or may not include aspects of the other’s original intended solution), etc.

I know this sounds like a lot of process, but I think that in practice it won’t be so hard. And hopefully it will keep us from having to constantly re-synchronize simultaneously developed updates.

Do you want to try this approach? For the next few days I need to be concentrating on the updates to the FF-CSTS book (deliverable due at the end of this week). I will assume that any of “your” errata sheets that you have uploaded since the end of the meeting are the latest and I will work from them. If and when I am ready to respond to any of them I will first ask if you have any intermediate updates.

Regarding the TD-related FRs, I don’t know if we came to any formal decisions in the WG but I am thinking that it would be a good target for “Tier 2” (or Tier 3, if we think of Tier 2 as the USLP FRs), to be worked in the spring. Nothing formal has been decided but I’ve expressed willingness to work at least a bit beyond the end of the year and maybe that could be part of my work during that time.

Best regards,
John