[Css-csts] Re: CSTS services and IOAG service catalog assessements

Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int
Tue Apr 8 11:50:18 EDT 2014

Dear Erik,

some preliminary considerations about the items to be discussed with IOAG.

FORWARD FILE SERVICE

The IOAG Catolg 1, requests a FORWARD FILE SERVICE providing these two key
features:

[text from IOAG Catolg 1]
A) This Service enables a mission to send the contents of a file to a
spacecraft by allowing a Control Center to provide a Ground Tracking Asset
with files for uplink
B) It is assumed that a generic transfer file service allowing to transfer
files between two units, i.e. [CFXS], will be available and - on top of
this generic service ? more ?specialized? file services will allow
requesting the dedicated processing for the file being transferred.

So, the matter is, to produce a service that entails  two parts;
1) first, delivery of files from one ground element to another (that is,
from MCS to GS for uplinking to the spacecraft). The files will be
complemented with processing instructions (use CFDP, Space Packets,
encapsulation Packets)
2) then, the true uplink part, from GS to spacecraft. So, the GS will be
"managing" the uplink; either via the CFDP Entity (this may or may not
require COP-1, the uplink in CFDP can be achieved via BD-types of TC) or
any other means.

In my view, bullet 1 implies that the terrestrial part of FORWARD FILE
SERVICE is achieved via the upcoming File Transfer concept, that is being
developed by the BOF ( plus file processing instructions) --> so, no
specific (or dedicated) cross support service.
Bullet 2 implies closing the uplink loop at the Ground Station, which we
understand as not being very much beloved by any Agency.
IOAG should explain if this is really a Service that they want.

RETURN FILE SERVICE

The correct sentence from the MoM of the CSTS WG is only "The exact scope
needs to be discussed with IOAG"( the rest of the sentence is not
pertinent to return services).
Looking at IOAG Catolg 1, the RETURN FILE SERVICE entails reconstructing
the file at the Ground Station ( e.g via a CFDP Entity, or other means),
and then sending it - plus some reporting information - to the MCS. The
latter part should be covered by the File Transfer concept .
By the way, in the absence of a suitable RETURN FILE SERVICE, NASA
implemented a private protocol where the file is, indeed, reconstructed at
the GS, but the CFDP Entity delivers CFDP control information flowing back
from the Ground Station to the MCS (and, by the way, ESA
is studying the same approach).

We can discuss these themes  further, possibly in a short teleconference,
and then formulate the questions for the  IOAG .
Kind regards,
Margherita

Margherita di Giulio
Ground Station Back-end Section (HSO-GIB)
European Space Agency ESA/ESOC
Robert-Bosch-Str. 5
D-64293 Darmstadt - Germany
Tel: +49-6151-902779