[Css-csts] Definion of Formal Technical Constructs for convention section

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Feb 11 13:01:24 EST 2013

Yves,
Some time ago we agree to capitalize the initial letters of the names of formal technical constructs such as Recording Buffer, Transfer Buffer, and Release Timer in the CSTS SFW to indicate that they have a special formal meaning. During my review of the (simple) Data Processing and Buffered Data Processing procedures I identified two terms (input queue and latency timer) that I thought should be treated the same, but Martin G rightfully pointed out that there is no written convention in the book. I took the action to provide you with such a typographical convention for inclusion in section 1.6.3.3. The difficulty with coming up with such a convention is in deciding what to call it and how to characterize it. "normative mechanisms and data structures" is awkward, but I can't think of a better name. If anyone in the WG has a suggestion please let us hear it. In any case, here's the convention description:

1.6.3.3.9  Normative Mechanism and Data Structure Names
The names of normative mechanisms and data structures appear with initial capital letters (e.g., Recording Buffer, Transfer Buffer, Release Timer). Such mechanisms and data structures have defined roles in the functioning of operations and procedures.