[Css-csts] Update of the SLE API Books - URGENT QUERY

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Jul 10 10:46:37 EDT 2012

Martin,

Please disregard my confusing the version number used in the BIND invocation with the version numbers used  in the various ASN.1 modules (although I think with the latest Blue Book Issues these have all been brought into alignment). Regarding the use of the term "Issue" (in contrast to "version" ): "Issue" refers to the Blue Book - e.g., "B-2" is "Issue 2". We (or at least I) have been rather loose in the past with our terminology, referring to B-2 as "version 2". Often this does not cause a problem, but in the case of SLE, where "version" applies to the number in the BIND, it can be confusing.

The important concern remains the same: should the API specifications continue to include the previous versions. To address your questions:

1.       "I do not fully understand your argument that we can only drop the past if the current magenta books are fully correct. Why should we bother about correcting retired specifications?" As much as we all agree with the theory is that any new implementation should be based on the latest approved version/Issue of its controlling standard, that is not always the case. Long procurement cycles lock in Issues that change between the time the system requirements are written and the time the system is actually built. For whatever reason, there will be new implementations of Silver specifications. (This, I think, points to a fundamental flaw in our standards process - when we issue a new Blue Book, we (CCSDS) can "retire" the previous Issue of the book but our Agencies are not necessarily bound to move onto the latest Issues.)

The point that I was trying to make in my original note was that if an error is discovered in an API book, the correction of that error should be formally documented even if the version/Issue of the corresponding Blue Book has been "retired". Of course, if the direction taken is to include all previous versions in the next Issues of the API books, any known errors in the previous Issue(s) can be corrected. But if the decision is to only address version 4 in the next Issue of the API book(s), corrections to errors in previous versions (specifically the version2 FCLTU API) will go unmade. Perhaps making such corrections are not CCSDS's responsibility: perhaps the CCSDS "warranty" only applies to the active version/Issue and  if anyone chooses to use a Silver version/Issue they are responsible for discovering/dealing with any hidden flaws (although it would seem a shame for CCSD to be aware of a problem and not make it known due to the lack of a formal mechanism to do so).

2.       "What concerns me is that I had missed the correction that you correctly point out to be required for  A3.2 of 916.1-M-1. I am sure you told me but I have obviously not recorded that. Do you have a record of any other changes that are required? If so, could you please let me have them (again)."  This is the only error in any of the API books of which I am aware.