[Css-csts] Update of the SLE API Books - URGENT QUERY

Martin Götzelmann martin.goetzelmann at vega.de
Tue Jul 3 12:55:40 EDT 2012

Dear John,

I am not sure that I understand the difference between issue and version as you describe them. What I meant by version is the version number that is inserted in the BIND Invocation. For an API supporting more than one version of a service this is the important number as it selects the specific version applicable to a service instance.

A more precise definition is given in Applicability section of each of the API Books. According to that

·         Version 1 for CLTU, RAF, and RCF refers to the red books on which the very first implementation was based

·         Version 2 for CLTU, RAF, and RCF  refers to B-2

At the time this specification was released there was only one version of ROCF and FSP, namely version 1 referring to B-1.

The current API specification is written such that an implementation that fully implements it can support version 1 and version 2 for CLTU, RAF, and RCF. I believe that the intention had really been to allow support of multiple versions by an implementation. You can see this e.g. from annex A.3.1 of the CLTU API specifying the interface to the START operation. This interface specifically includes a method that are applicable to version 1 only (CLTU_Id Get_FirstCltuId) and a special method (Get_FirstCltuIdUsed) to check whether that method is applicable.

If we continue that approach we would now have to say that the API specifications supports

·         Version 1, 2, and 4 for CLTU, RAF, and RCF; and

·         Version 1 and 4 for ROCF and FSP.

Assuming that API implementations conform to the current specification, this would be the smallest change but I am not sure whether that is really in line with the general CCSDS approach.  However, dropping the history and only supporting version 4 of the SLE services would mean that an API implementation wanting to support previous versions would either have to duplicate interfaces or extend interfaces in a manner not defined in the specification. Another question is of course how long older versions shall be supported - if we continue the approach of supporting multiple SLE versions, do we still want to support version 1?

I do not fully understand your argument that we can only drop the past if the current magenta books are fully correct. Why should we bother about correcting retired specifications?

What concerns me is that I had missed the correction that you correctly point out to be required for  A3.2 of 916.1-M-1. I am sure you told me but I have obviously not recorded that. Do you have a record of any other changes that are required? If so, could you please let me have them (again).

So far,  I had simply looked into the differences between the most recent blue books (version 4) and the earlier blue books to identify the required changes. I have recorded those changes in a document called "SLE V4 Changes.docx" and uploaded it to the CWE (Cross Support Services Area (CSS) > Documents > CSS-CSTS > CWE Private > SLE API) - in case you would like to cross-check.

Kind Regards, Martin