[Css-csts] Monitoring "above" functional resources

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Jan 26 13:11:11 EST 2010

CSTSWG and SMWG colleagues ---

As you know, I have bee working on the Monitored Data Cross Support
Transfer Service (MD-CSTS) specification. The MD-CSTS is of interest to
both the CSTSWG and SMWG because it is "built" using the CSTS Framework,
it essentially serves a Service Management purpose (i.e., monitoring the
operation of all resources involved with the execution of a Service
Package).

As you may recall, the MD-CSTS works on the paradigm of reporting
monitored parameters and notifiable events of functional resources,
which are service-oriented abstract views of things like the RF carrier
and SLE transfer service instances (e.g., a carrier frequency is
associated with a "Forward S-Band" space link functional resource, not
the piece of equipment that generates that space link).

At the Noordwijk CSTSWG meeting, a question was posed that I recorded as
"Can notifiable events be associated with something above functional
resources (e.g., service package)?" There was no discussion of the
question at the meeting - it was left for post-meeting consideration.

I have been trying to think of examples of what might be monitored
"above" functional resources. In considering the specific example
mentioned (Service Package), the one thing that I thought might be of
interest would be notifications at the start and stop of the Service
Package itself. But then I realized that because the MD-CSTS is itself
part of the Service Package, it cannot even be bound (much less started)
before the start of the Service Package, so it could never report the
start of the Service Package. Similar time constraints would prevent it
from reporting on the end of the Service Package. Other SP-related
events such as SpaceCommService start and stop and Carrier start and
stop *could* be reported by the MD-CSTS *if* the MD-CSTS service
provision period spans the lifetime of the Service Package and *if* the
MD-CSTS user starts the instance almost immediately and doesn't stop it
until the end of the Service Package.

However, on thinking about it a bit more, I think that it would be
better to report such SP-related events as part of the SCCS-SM protocol
itself, by defining new SM Notify operations suited to the purpose.
These Notify operations would not be constrained to be completely within
in the time span of the Service Package.

So on the subject of Service Package related notifications, at this time
I would recommend not including them in the things reported by the
MD-CSTS. Of course, I'm always interested in hearing counter-arguments.

I cannot think of other types of data above functional resources that
might be candidates for being reported via the MD-CSTS. Perhaps some
examples were mentioned during the meeting that I failed to record, and
if that is the case I apologize.

John Pietras

GST, Inc.

7855 Walker Drive, Suite 200