[Css-csts] top-level Framework PDU?

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Tue Jul 28 09:48:05 EDT 2009

Dear all.
I am currently not in ESOC and that's why I did not reply to the various
comments.
Here is a summary of my answers:
   I acknowledge the fact that my ASN.1 proposal fails to have a top level
   PDU and I will solve it by adding a TransferBufferInvocation in the top
   PDU
   I disagree with Martin regarding the interpretation of IMPLICIT/EXPLICIT.
   My understanding is that it remove the tagging of the Universal class only
   and does not affect that user's defined tags.

I will prepare a new set of modules by Monday next week.

Best regards
Yves

             "Ray, Timothy J.
             (GSFC-5830)"
             <timothy.j.ray at nas                                           To
             a.gov>                     "css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org"
             Sent by:                   <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
             css-csts-bounces at m                                           cc
             ailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        [Css-csts] top-level Framework PDU?
             27/07/2009 18:05

Hi Yves,

(Any time I say anything about ASN.1, there should be a blanket disclaimer of
“based on what I *think* I know”)

Our current Framework ASN.1 specification still does not provide a single
top-level structure for transferring information between the Provider and
User – i.e. the User side must be able to receive either a CstsFrameworkPdu
structure or a TransferBuffer structure.    Martin discussed this issue in
his email on 17 July; the relevant paragraph is repeated here:

“In order to have the complete set of PDUs that a CSTS user can receive an
implementation must include the TransferBuffer into the PDU definitions. I
understand that this is not done in the Specification because TRANSFER-BUFFER
is not a real operation - and I am not requesting to do that. However, if an
implementation wants to do this it cannot use the tag [1] as in
BufferedDataDeliveryPdu because that would be in conflict with BindReturn. I
would therefore suggest changing the tag for TransferBuffer in
BufferedDataDeliveryPdu to 71 (or to include TransferBuffer into
CstsFrameworkPdu even if it is not a proper PDU).”

This is an issue that needs to be resolved in order for me to complete an
implementation of the Framework – i.e. if I add a CHOICE to the official
ASN.1 specification (so as to create a single-top level structure), there
will be a conflict over the tag [1].

Best regards,
Css-csts mailing list
Css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org