[Css-csts] Framework - procedure-instance-identifier

Ray, Timothy J. (GSFC-5830) timothy.j.ray at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 30 14:22:28 EDT 2009

Dear Working Group,

This email suggests some small changes to our Framework spec to make it tighter.  In a nutshell, if the procedure-instance-number is 3, does that indicate "the third instance of the specified procedure-type" or "the third instance of any secondary procedure-type"?  Details follow...

Section 3.3.2.5.4 of the Framework spec (version 0.19) states that:
"The procedure instance number in the procedure-instance-identifier of the secondary procedures shall be set to an incrementing number starting with 1."

In my opinion, different implementers might interpret those words in different ways.  Here are 2 examples - in each example it is assumed that there are 2 instances each of 2 secondary procedures, and that their order of existence is S1.1 (first instance of first secondary procedure) , S1.2 (second instance of the first secondary procedure), S2.1 (first instance of the second secondary procedure), and S2.2 (second instance of the second secondary procedure).

Example 1:
S1.1 always identifies itself as #1 (i.e. procedure-instance-number = 1).
S1.2 always identifies itself as #2.
S2.1 always identifies itself as #3 (this is the third instance of a secondary procedure).
S2.2 always identifies itself as #4 (this is the fourth instance of a secondary procedure).

Example 2:
S1.1 always identifies itself as #1.
S1.2 always identifies itself as #2.
S2.1 always identifies itself as #1 (this is the first instance of the given procedure-type).
S2.2 always identifies itself as #2 (this is the second instance of the given procedure-type).

I suggest that we add another sentence to 3.3.2.5.4 to clarify our intentions.

Also, I suggest that we slightly modify the wording of 3.3.2.5.2:
From:
"The procedure-instance-identifier shall be *used* for all operations used in the context of that procedure instance."
To:
"The *value of the* procedure-instance-identifier shall be *the same* for all operations used in the context of that procedure instance."

Best regards,
Tim