[Css-csts] top-level Framework PDU?

Ray, Timothy J. (GSFC-5830) timothy.j.ray at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 27 12:05:06 EDT 2009

Hi Yves,

(Any time I say anything about ASN.1, there should be a blanket disclaimer of "based on what I *think* I know")

Our current Framework ASN.1 specification still does not provide a single top-level structure for transferring information between the Provider and User - i.e. the User side must be able to receive either a CstsFrameworkPdu structure or a TransferBuffer structure.    Martin discussed this issue in his email on 17 July; the relevant paragraph is repeated here:

"In order to have the complete set of PDUs that a CSTS user can receive an implementation must include the TransferBuffer into the PDU definitions. I understand that this is not done in the Specification because TRANSFER-BUFFER is not a real operation - and I am not requesting to do that. However, if an implementation wants to do this it cannot use the tag [1] as in BufferedDataDeliveryPdu because that would be in conflict with BindReturn. I would therefore suggest changing the tag for TransferBuffer in BufferedDataDeliveryPdu to 71 (or to include TransferBuffer into CstsFrameworkPdu even if it is not a proper PDU)."

This is an issue that needs to be resolved in order for me to complete an implementation of the Framework - i.e. if I add a CHOICE to the official ASN.1 specification (so as to create a single-top level structure), there will be a conflict over the tag [1].

Best regards,
Tim