[Css-csts] Comments on CSTS Documentation Tree section of Framework Spec

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Sun Aug 9 22:58:26 EDT 2009

Yves,

As you may have seen from the email exchange between Martin and me, I
had made several comments on material the Concept book that Martin
identified as having been taken directly from the Framework
specification. I agreed with Martin that my comments should be directed
to the Framework specification. Here are the ones that I made regarding
the Concept book, plus a few others that I noticed in the meantime.
Please accept my apologies for net seeing these and bringing them up
sooner.

1. Section 1.5.2 is supposed to be about the CSTS documentation tree,
but the scope of the section is confusing: the paragraphs are phrased in
terms of CSTS documentation, but the figure includes the larger cross
support services documents.

2. The second paragraph addresses SLE services even before anything is
said about CSTSes. Why SLE services are addressed at this point is
confusing. The first two sentences of the paragraph are "SLE Transfer
Services are a set of services that belongs to CSTSes. Due to history
the SLE Transfer Services (already specified and already implemented at
the time of publication) are separated from CSTSes." Without further
explanation, these two sentences contradict each other: the first
sentence say that belong to CSTS, the second says that they are
separate. Finally, the last sentence in the paragraph, "The conversion
of SLE Transfer Services to CSTSes is feasible but not mandated by the
Recommended Standard', seems inappropriate to the Framework
specification. That kind of policy statement is better suited to the
Concept book, which is intended to discuss thinks like what the
Framework is intended to be used for.

3. The figure (labeled "J-1" instead of "1-1") shows 4 documents in the
CSTS "box", but the paragraph the follows identifies all of the
documents in the figure (except SLE Transfer Services) as  "CSTS
documentation".

4. In bullet a), there should be some explanation why this "SLE" book is
part of the CSTS documentation tree.

5. Bullet b) identifies the Cross Support Reference Model, which does
not appear in the figure. Again, should be some explanation why this
"SLE" book is part of the CSTS documentation tree

6. In bullet c), the SCCS-SM is a single Recommended Standard, not a set
of them.

7. In bullet e), given that we make an effort to explain that CSTSes can
be created by simple adoption of Framework procedures, it is more
correct to drop the "derived" from "guidelines for the instantiation of
a derived service based on the CSTS Procedures".

8. In bullet f), there should be an entry for the Cross Support Transfer
Services Concept Green Book, and it should be referenced here.

9. There is no bullet in the box corresponding to the "Cross Support
Transfer Services Suite" box in the figure.

10. In section 1.7, References, number [8] should begin with "Space Link
Extension-". Also, the words "Standard  that defines a protocol for
transfer of Protocol Data Units (PDU) defined in the Cross Support
Transfer Services" should be removed. Finally, the reference should be
updated to B-1.

I have uploaded to the CWE a Word document that is a proposed
re-organization of this section that I think fixes the problems. I did
not redraw the figure, but noted in a comment that it should include the
Cross Support Reference Model. The document is located at URL
http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/CSTS%20Framework%20
and%20Concept/CSTS%20Documentation%20Tree-jvp.doc

or http://tinyurl.com/CSTS-Doc-tree

Perhaps we can discuss it on Tuesday.

John Pietras

GST, Inc.